Jeweled Persian Saffron Cookies
Makes about 48
1/2 cup Earth Balance or butter, melted
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup Kamut flour
5 oz silken low-fat tofu, pureed
1 cup currants
1 cup dried cranberries
3/4 tsp saffron threads, crumbled
1 tbsp warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
- In large mixing bowl, combine butter, granulated sugar and icing sugar with wooden spoon.
- Slowly stir in flour.
- Stir in eggs, then raisins.
- In small bowl, whisk saffron and water.
- Stir in yellow food colouring, if using, and vanilla. Stir well into batter.
- For each cookie, scoop a teaspoon of dough and roll into ball.
- Place 2 inches apart on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake in batches in preheated 350F oven until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on wire racks. Transfer to airtight container.
Total Fat: 2.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 24.9 mg
Total Carbs: 16.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.7 g