Times have sure changed - for one thing, now when I hit the cereal aisle it's more like shopping in a candy store! But if you search on the lowest shelves, or hop into the nearest bulk store, you can still find the old, plain classics. So I decided to fix my current craving for the apple-cinnamon rings by baking them. Rather than making cookies or marshmallow bars with the plain Cheerios I picked up, I did what I do best: bread!
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup warm, unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp honey
2 tbsp melted butter
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour
1/4 cup potato flour
1/3 cup ground flaxseed
1/3 cup whole flaxseed
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tbsp instant yeast
1 medium tart apple, peeled and diced
1/2 cup Cheerios cereal
- In a medium bowl, beat together cider, egg, applesauce, honey, butter and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or basin of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, whisk together flours, flaxseed, cinnamon and yeast.
- Add the liquid ingredients and mix well.
- Knead for 12 minutes, until dough begins to form elastic "strands".
- Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- Knead a further 7-8 minutes on medium speed, then re-cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Scrape onto a floured counter and knead in apple pieces and Cheerios cereal. It will take a while, but it will all fit!
- Shape into a round, cover and let rest 30 minutes.
- Lightly deflate dough and shape into a loaf, place into a greased loaf pan. Cover and let rise 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place bread on the lowest rack of the oven and bake 50 minutes, rotating pan halfway through.
Total Fat: 4.9 g
Cholesterol: 19.5 mg
Sodium: 28.6 mg
Total Carbs: 29.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.5 g
Protein: 5.2 g