While I haven't met Carla (Chocolate Moosey), Jen (Juanita's Cucina) or Isabel (Family Foodie) in person, I consider them friends and am grateful that I can share stories with them and the rest of the #SundaySupper community every week. I've drooled (figuratively) over their recipes and often wished I had more people to cook for (and more money) so that I could make everything I've laid my eyes on! Clearly I've been stalking Carla's page these days, given my obsession with her strawberry curd (I still have one thing to show you how to use it for!) but the other day I re-read one of her #SundaySupper posts and knew I had to make a version of it.
I'm a fan of the daytime show The Chew, and when I started making the cookies I figured since there was already bacon, booze and butter in the mix (Michael Symon is proudly fond of bacon and butter), I could give a nod to Daphne Oz' tastes with home-dried fruit, tofu and her notorious psyllium husk. The butterscotch chips were for me, since in my opinion bacon needs something sweet with it (as a kid brunch staples were crisp bacon and homefries with maple syrup!). While Carla is not a fan of butterscotch, I hope she'll appreciate my rendition - I know my butterscotch adoring dad and the ladies at the salon I took the batch to did!
A Special #SundaySupper
This #SundaySupper is celebrated with Katie Workman, author of the Mom 100 Cookbook. Katie believes and promotes the fact that feeding our families doesn’t have to be stressful! Katie shares the one hundred recipes that she found as a working wife and mother of two that are great-tasting and that every mom can rely on, share and feel good about.
The recipes made for this event were chosen from the ones made during the first Mom 100 Event. We could make the recipes verbatim or take our own tack, like I did.
We will be giving away 3 copies of the Mom 100 Cookbooks. This is an event you don’t want to miss!!
Here are some favorites we will be sharing with you during #SundaySupper this week:
- Japanese Restaurant Salad with Carrot-Ginger Dressing Shockingly Delicious @shockinglydlish
- Spicy Ranch Bacon & Avocado Quesadilla Daily Dish Recipes @nicolehcook
- Pear, Goat cheese and Pancetta Grilled Pizza MamaMommyMom @mamamommymom
- Turkey Meat Sauce The Meltaways @MrsMeltaway
- Lasagna with Turkey Meat Sauce GirliChef @girlichef
- Salsa Chicken Quesadilla with a homemade cilantro chimichurri Juanita’s Cocina @juanitascocina
- Individual Grilled Pizza Big Bears Wife @bigbearswife
- Beans and Cheese Quesadila with Tomato Salad Basic n Delicious @basicndelicious
- Grill Roasted Honey Ginger Chicken Are you Hungry? @redkathy
- One-Pot Arroz con Pollo – Cuban Style Comfy Cuisine @trish0605
- Sesame Noodles With Shrimp and Vegetables Magnolia Days @reneedobbs
- Fresh Mozzarella Pasta Casserole Twitter Doggie at The Dinner Table @doggieatdinner
- Arroz con Pollo Puerto Rican style Cooking by the seat of our pants @cbsop
- Rice Toppings of Garlic, Lemon, Rosemary Roasted Chicken with Summer Pineapple The Queen’s Notebook @mango_queen
- Pizza Quesadillas Meal Planning Magic @mealplanmom
- Sesame Noodles Cupcakes and Kale Chips @CupcakeKaleChip
- Lasagna Parcels with Turkey Meat Sauce Small Wallet Big Appetite @wallet_appetite
- Grilled Chicken Pita Sandwich Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again @shlylais
- Grilled Breakfast Pizza & Sauteed Corn & Spinach Grilled Pizza Momma’s Meals @mommasmeals
- Sauteed Corn, Spinach, Bacon and scallions! Mama’s Blissful Bites @mamapoolecooks
- Thai Style Sesame Glass Noodle My Trials in the Kitchen @seetfei
- Caramelized Onion & Flank Steak Quesadilla In The Kitchen with KP @InTheKitchenKP
- Teriyaki Skewers Real Best Recipe @realbestrecipe
- Skillet Spinach Corn with Edamame Cilantro & Bacon Bits Sue’s Nutrition Buzz @ssunithi
- Pulled Pork with Papa Mike’s Cole Slaw In the Kitchen with Audrey @audreysmamma
- Sauteed Corn, Spinach Bacon and Scallions That Skinny Chick Can Bake @thatskinnychick
- Arroz con Pollo Portuguese Style Family Foodie @familyfoodie
- Fudgy One Pot Brownies Mrs. Mama Hen @MrsMamaHen
- Simple Vanilla Cupcakes Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks @HezziD
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Squares Chocolate Moosey @chocolatemoosey
- Butterscotch-Bacon Apple cookies What Smells So Good? @jo_jo_ba
- Wine Everyday @wineeveryday
We will be sharing great family recipes all afternoon and want you to share yours with us! #SundaySupper starts every week at 3:00pm EST by showcasing fabulous recipes. Follow us on twitter by using hashtag #Sundaysupper or using Tweetchat. We love to feature your recipes on our #sundaysupper pinterest board and share them with all our followers.
Connect with Katie Workman, Author of The Mom 100 Cookbook:
Buy The Mom 100 Cookbook
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 oz non-hydrogenated shortening
2 oz unsalted butter
1 tbsp golden corn syrup
150 g "dessert style" tofu (I used Sunrise Soya original flavour), pureed
1/2 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp butter flavour (optional)
2 1/3 cups white whole wheat (or Nutri-flour Blend) flour
1/3 cup psyllium husks
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
1/2 cup diced dried apple, soaked in 2 tbsp scotch and water, drained well
1/2 cup butterscotch chips
1/3 cup smoky bacon bits (I used imitation since I had them on hand) or crisp cooked bacon
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugars, shortening and butter until fluffy.
- Beat in the corn syrup, tofu, vanilla and butter flavouring.
- Stir in the flour, psyllium, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt until well combined.
- Fold in the apples, butterscotch chips and bacon bits.
- Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes - 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F and line baking sheets with parchment.
- Form balls of dough and flatten into thick discs (they don't spread much).
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating pans halfway through.
- Cool on the sheets.
Total Fat: 10.0 g
Cholesterol: 6.1 mg
Sodium: 62.4 mg
Total Carbs: 35.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.2 g
Protein: 3.9 g
If you really want to gild the lily here, why not make some sandwiches with Candied Cherry and Bacon Chocolate Chip Ice Cream?
Also, if you've extra dried apples, butterscotch chips and bacon, just melt some dark chocolate with the butterscotch chips and dunk the rings before sprinkling with the bacon bits!