With the two biggest patriotic holidays (for those of us in the Canada/US camps, anyway) knocking, what better time than now to have another #holidayfoodparty? Jen is at it again as our fearless host, and we have 14 delectable treats this roundup!
I knew I wanted to do something "flag related" for the nations celebrating this first week of July, and to me the easiest way to get those iconic images onto the plate was with a cookie! I also really wanted to try out the capabilities of the PureVia Granulated style stevia in it's purest "bakeable" form - a sugar cookie. I made two versions of a veganized recipe, using non-hydrogenated shortening so that the butter flavour wouldn't influence the sweetness test. The results of the "plain" cookie tasting were surprising - only one person (my supertaster sister) could tell that the baked 100% sugar free cookies were different than my control recipe with sugar (raw dough, however, fooled nobody - they knew there was "something off" with the PureVia version)! I liked making this 100% sugar free dough a whole lot more than the sugar-filled one too - it came together easier and baked flatter without spreading!
Moving forward, I added colour and flavour to pieces of the dough, then cut out rectangles and the necessary parts of each flag to assemble my art. The combination of the raspberry "red" and lemon "white" doughs was a hit, as was the design of each cookie. Lacking the moisture-retaining capabilities of sugar, however, the cookies did stale faster than usual... but I skirted that issue by only baking a few at a time, keeping the rest of them assembled and carefully packed in the freezer for a la minute cookie cravings!
1. Berry Cheesecake Crumb Tart from Hungry Couple NYC
2. California Burgers from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
3. 4th of July Ice Cream Cones from Roxana's Home Baking
4. Red, White & Blueberry Parfaits from Cravings of a Lunatic
5. Red, White & Blue Deviled Eggs from Created by Diane
6. Summer Berry Pizza from Magnolia Days
7. Sparkling Pineapple Cake Martini from The Messy Baker
8. Red, White & Bleu Mac 'N Cheese from Juanita's Cocina
9. Red, White & Blue Vanilla Bean Spritzers from Pineapple and Coconut
10. Red, White & Blue S'mores Pies from Big Bears Wife
11. Lemon Raspberry Sugarless Cookies from What Smells so Good
12. Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup Cheesecake Squares from Chocolate Moosey
13. Berry Trifle from Jen's Favorite Cookies
14. Watermelon Mojito Ice Pops from Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
Lemon-Raspberry Sugarless Cookies
Contains 0g of sugars vs 3g in the original recipe
Makes 70 small cookies or 20 "flag" cookies
1 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
1 cup PureVia Granulated Sweetener
1 ½ tsp dry Homemade Egg Replacer (or Ener-G Egg Replacer) plus 3 tbsp water
3-4 tbsp coconut beverage (i.e. Coconut Dream - not the canned kind) or soy milk
1 tbsp vanilla
3 cups all purpose flour
½ tbsp baking powder
¾ tsp salt
½ tsp citric acid
1 tsp lemon extract
¼-½ tsp red gel food colouring
¼ tsp Super-Strength Raspberry Flavour
- Cream shortening and PureVia Granulated Sweetener.
- Add egg replacer, coconut beverage and vanilla, beating well.
- Beat in flour, baking powder, nutmeg and salt.
- Divide dough in half.
- To one half of the dough knead in the citric acid and lemon extract. To the other half knead in the red colouring and raspberry flavour.
- Wrap each half well in plastic wrap and chill at least 1 hour for easier handling.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF and line cookie sheets with parchment.
- Between sheets of waxed paper, roll out 1/3 of dough at a time and cut out with cookie cutters (make flags as shown in the photos or make your own design, or just make single-flavour cookies!).
- Place 1” apart on cookie sheets.
- Bake 6-9 minutes.
- Cool 2 minutes on baking sheet, then move to a cooling rack.
Total Fat: 3.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 0.3 mg
Total Carbs: 4.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.1 g
Protein: 0.6 g