No, instead I whipped up these dense, brownie-like snacking cake bars for a few friends who need to be either gluten free, vegan or both. Since the chill of Fall is coming (and some would say Augtober stole any Summer we may have had anyway), I warmed things up from a standard spice cake with a double hit of ginger - fresh minced for a wallop of spicy heat, and crystallized ginger in syrup for a slower, gentler burn that is nonetheless present in every mouthful. Like I said, the pureed zucchini is purely for moisture here - you could use applesauce or oil too if you want - and the slight bit of texture and flavour from ground almonds is echoes in the almond milk, adding richness to the mixture of molasses and maple syrup.
A square of this cake melts in your mouth, and save for nut allergies it will be a hit in lunchboxes and office break rooms regardless of anyone's dietary preferences (my eat-everything mom demolished the scraps).
Shared with Gluten Free Fridays
Gluten Free Double Ginger Cake
Makes one 9" pan, 16 pieces
½ cup sorghum flour
½ cup millet flour
⅓ cup almond flour
¼ cup arrowroot starch
½ tbsp guar gum
3 tbsp ground flaxseed
3 tbsp psyllium husk fibre
1 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup fancy molasses
¼ cup dark maple syrup
¼ cup pureed zucchini (or applesauce)
¼ cup canola oil
½ cup unsweetened almond milk (or your favourite milk alternative)
½ cup minced fresh ginger
¼ cup chopped crystallized ginger in syrup, undrained
- Heat oven to 350F and grease a 9” baking pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flours, starch, guar gum, flaxseed, psyllium, baking soda and salt.
- In another large bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, molasses, syrup, applesauce, oil and almond milk. Add gingers and stir to combine.
- Add flour mixture and stir just until smooth.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool completely in the pan before cutting (these are like brownies in consistency).
Total Fat: 5.2 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 11.8 mg
Total Carbs: 30.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
Protein: 1.8 g