This jam is one such treat - made thanks to in-season strawberries frozen at their peak and the new crop of tropical mangoes and limes coming into the markets. Rather than a straight "mango" or "strawberry" jam, I tossed in a full-on combination of exotic, yet familiar flavours like coconut extract and lime. To keep the flavours pure and true to their original ingredients, I opted for a lower-sugar style of preserving which I think really did the jam justice. It's a versatile spread that will work not just for toast but also stirring into rice pudding (or kheer!), spreading between cake layers or dotting into thumbprint cookies.
|The gorgeous pink jam is in front!|
Strawberry - Mango Jam
Makes ~1 1/2 pints, 48 (1 tbsp) servings
1 ½ cups mango puree
1 ½ cups strawberry puree
⅓ cup water
1 tbsp lime juice
2 tsp lime zest
1 tbsp + 2 tsp no sugar needed pectin
½ cup sugar
½ tsp coconut extract
- Combine the puree, water, lime juice, lime zest and pectin in a saucepan, stirring to thoroughly combine.
- Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, stirring constantly.
- Add the sugar and return mixture to a full rolling boil.
- Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in the extract.
- Can 10 minutes in a water bath or store in the fridge up to 2 weeks.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 0.1 mg
Total Carbs: 3.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 0.0 g