I come by my PB love honestly. My whole family is guilty of eating mass quantities of the stuff - whether it's smeared on a slab of Challah, dolloped on crackers alongside a 5-alarm chili or simply on a spoon au naturale. More than that, Dad and I ADORE the sweet and salty combination of peanut butter and honey with the sticky caramelized notes of banana. This granola is everything the sandwich is, in portable, snackable form! Perfect for the holiday rush, a baggie of this crunchy cereal is easy to tuck away into your purse or backpack, and a lot cheaper than picking up something from the mall food court. To up the decadence even more with my second batch, I tossed in some dark chocolate chips as well. Either way, it has no added oil or fat except from the peanut butter (I even used an all-natural style, which worked perfectly), is perfectly sweet without being "brush-your-teeth required", and has an added hit of satiating protein and fibre from the toasted soy flour.
Shared with Gluten Free Fridays #225
Peanut Butter, Banana & Honey Granola
Makes ~5 cups, 20 (1/4 cup) servings
3 cups gluten free, plain instant oatmeal (or grind your own)
1 cup gluten free large flake oats
1/2 cup kinako
1/2 cup 4 Grain Hot Cereal (GoGo Quinoa) or your favourite multigrain cereal
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2.6 oz (about 6 1/2 tbsp) smooth, natural style peanut butter
2.6 oz (about 3.5 tbsp) honey
2 large, overripe bananas, mashed
- Heat the oven to 275F (convection) or 300F (regular) and line a cookie sheet with parchment.
- Combine the oats, kinako, hot cereal, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- In another bowl microwave or otherwise melt together the peanut butter, honey and bananas until runny.
- Pour over the grain mixture and stir until everything is well coated.
- Spread in an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Turn off the oven and cool for 2 hours inside.
Total Fat: 4.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 91.8 mg
Total Carbs: 21.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.1 g
Protein: 5.7 g