I know that kind of morning is probably nowhere near reality for most of us - even though it is Holiday time most of us are still working in between shopping, wrapping, delivering, cooking and chauffeuring, and we're all a little strung out, right? (On a side note, why does snow automatically mean people can't drive - or park - properly anymore?? Gah!).
I do, however, try to do some of the Toronto Star crosswords every day - and thanks to feed readers I can get the important bits (read: food section!) on my homepage. They're running a Cookie Countdown this month (a familiar theme in the media I'm finding lately!) and I love looking at each day's recipes for inspiration. Eric Vellend featured a type of shortbread cookie a while back packed full of ground espresso and Kahlua - and I was sold. I knew these would be a hit amongst hits with both the Italians and the wonderful people who appreciate what I make them, so I tweaked the original recipe very slightly, and I wasn't disappointed! They quite literally flew out of the tin when I took them in yesterday!
I'm sure by now you've all guessed where this recipe is headed - FoodBlogga's Eat Christmas Cookies Event! I'm just about to dive into her latest NPR article too, I want that egg cookie recipe! The continuing round-up is posted here.
Makes about 30
1 tsp cornstarch
3 tbsp cold water
1 cup flour
3/4 cup spelt flour
1 tbsp ground espresso
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup stick margarine, room temperature
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tsp coffee liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line baking sheets with parchment.
- Combine cornstarch and water in a small dish, set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flours, espresso, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- Cream margarine, shortening and sugars until fluffy.
- Add coffee liqueur, followed by the cornstarch slurry, mixing until combined.
- Slowly beat in dry ingredients.
- Drop tablespoons of dough 2" apart on trays and flatten slightly.
- Bake 15 minutes, cool completely on sheets
Total Fat: 4.7 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 36.3 mg
Total Carbs: 10.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g
Protein: 0.8 g