This latest bread is technically called "Mr. Potato Bread" by the folks at Australia's Bourke Street Bakery, who documented the original recipe in their cookbook: Bourke Street Bakery: The Ultimate Baking Companion. However, I like to call the hearty, herbed boule The International Bread of Mystery, and when you break down the ingredients it makes sense - black sesame seeds originating in Africa, nigella seeds with Indian heritage, Mediterranean thyme and rosemary, South American potatoes and 100% Canadian rye and wheat. Not only does it have a worldwide pedigree, but it also has a local flair thanks to my backyard wild yeast. The process is definitely a long, multi-step one, and the loaf is a slow riser, but trust me, the flavours marry and enhance each other and the sourdough, the crumb turns tender with a hint of richness from the oil and the whole thing turns into something more than the sum of its parts. The long timeframe is perfect for people like me who can break away from their days for a few minutes at a time to tend to the loaf, and the reward is definitely a delicious one (especially spread with hummus and topped with alfalfa sprouts!)
This month's Bread Bakers event is embracing hearty Fall breads... whether it's apples and pumpkins, spices or the dense, "meal in a slice" type of loaves perfect for pairing with soup, Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm has picked a theme that is sure to appeal to everyone!
Let's take a look at the other Fall Flavors being shared today!
- Apple Crumb Quick Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Apple Raisin Bread from Bakers and Best
- Apple Raisin Bread from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Browned Butter Butternut Squash Bread from Sizzling Tastebuds
- Buttermilk Wheat Bread from Magnolia Days
- Eggless Apple Sage Cheddar Scones from Spill the Spices
- Fall Harvest Bread from Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Fig Focaccia from My Catholic Kitchen
- Harvest Grains Bread from Hostess At Heart
- Mr. Potato Bread from What Smells So Good?
- Multigrain Bread With Seeds from Sneha's Recipe
- Pumpkin and Apple Cornmeal Griddle Cakes from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Pumpkin Bread from La cocina de Aisha
- Pumpkin Bread Dinner Rolls from Sara's Tasty Buds
- Pumpkin Bread Rolls from Spiceroots
- Pumpkin Bread Rolls from I Camp in my Kitchen
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pumpkin Dinner Rolls from Bread Therapy
- Pumpkin Hand Pie from CookingClub
- Pumpkin, Poppy & Papaya seeded Breadsticks from G'Gina's Kitchenette
- Pumpkin Raisin Bagels from Cook's Hideout
- Pumpkin Scones from A Baker's House
- Red Grape, Olive & Goat Cheese Schiacciata (Tuscan Focaccia) from Ruchik Randhap
- Sesame Seeded Semolina Bread from Karen's Kitchen Stories
- Sourdough Pumpkin Bread from Passion Needed
- Spicy Pumpkin Yeast Bread from Mayuri’s Jikoni
#BreadBakers is a group of bread loving bakers who get together once a month to bake bread with a common ingredient or theme. Follow our Pinterest board right here. Links are also updated each month on this home page. We take turns hosting each month and choosing the theme/ingredient. If you are a food blogger and would like to join us, just send Stacy an email with your blog URL to email@example.com.