Around the holidays (when mugs of coffee and tea abounded in the school to cope with the -20C weather) I took another look at chai and broke it down to the basics of the spice blend. After I did that, I realized that while I might not like everything in a mug all at once, I did like the majority of the flavours going on. Since I was in the midst of a biscotti blitz, I figured I would make a tea version - after all, there are only so many Empire biscuits one can eat on their china plates. These crisp cookies are very lightly sweetened (since most chai tea is sweet), scented with coconut and peppered with a sprinkling of sesame seeds for some extra nuttiness. For a little extra sugar, a powdered sugar icing was whipped up with brewed chai and drizzled on, which capped off the flavours without overwhelming them with sugar. I kept them vegan by using ground chia in place of eggs - a substitution that also helped keep them just tender enough to keep from breaking your teeth when eaten as is (chia absorbs water and holds it amazingly well).
Cookies in the afternoon at “teatime” are a long held tradition, whether served with tea, coffee or even milk for an after school snack. No matter what you serve with your cookies, we’ve got a great list for you to choose from!
You can also use us as a great resource for cookie recipes. Be sure to check out our Pinterest Board and our monthly posts (you can find all of them here at The Spiced Life). You will be able to find them the first Tuesday after the 15th of each month! Also, if you are looking for inspiration to get in the kitchen and start baking, check out what all of the hosting bloggers have made:
- Lilikoi-Lime Shortbread Thumbprint Cookies from All That’s Left Are The Crumbs
- Rich Tea Biscuits from Food Lust People Love
- Lemon Poppyseed Shortbread Cookies from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chai-Scotti from What Smells So Good?
- Buttermilk Cookies with Nutmeg and Thyme from The Spiced Life
- Chocolate Covered Digestive Biscuits from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Lemon Blueberry Shortbread Cookies from Upstate Ramblings
- London Fog Cookies from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Lemon Basil Marmalade Cookies from 2 Cookin Mamas
- Honey and Vanilla Madeleines from A Baker’s House