Events first. Nikki from CrazyDeliciousFood has been just as embroiled in blog events as I have been the past few weeks, and so created one more: Master Baker! The premise of this one is a simple, yet perfect design slightly reminiscent of the DomesticGoddess' SHF: She picks the "star" ingredient, and we bloggers pick whatever baked goods you want. We then make 'em, shoot 'em, and send them in, where she will then pick a favourite! This month's theme is the deliciously classic, warming cinnamon.
So what could be an easier, sweeter way of breaking in this blog event than with a delicious hostess gift: muffins! These vegan, low-fat and fibre-full muffins are a deliciously classic gift that is only made sweeter with a crunchy, home-made "granola" topping! A superb, not-too-rich taste for breakfast or with coffee.
Cinnamon GRANDola Muffins
1 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup low-fat plain soy milk
2/3 cup applesauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp rolled oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp canola oil
- Preheat oven to 400F. Grease 12 muffin cups.
- Combine the oil, soymilk, applesauce, sugar and salt with a wire whisk.
- In another bowl, whisk together the baking powder, cornstarch, connamon, flours and oats.
- Stir the flour into the wet ingredients until all of the dough particles are just moistened.
- Do not over mix.
- Stir together the brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and oil until crumbly, sprinkle onto tops of muffins.
- Bake about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool 5 minutes before removing gently from pan.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 3.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 113.2 mg
Total Carbs: 27.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.2 g
Protein: 3.7 g
So now that we're all nice and fed, I'll concentrate on a meme that Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy tagged me for the other day.
The rules for the meme:
1. Link to your tagger and post these rules.
2. Share 5 facts about yourself.
3. Tag 5 people at the end of your post, and list their names to link to them.
4. Let them know they've been tagged by leaving a comment at their blogs.
Allrighty then. Let's get started!
1. I used to eat pretty much everything and anything that came across my path, none of which was necessarily healthy. I loved food and eating (and still do). I got very sick with a still undiagnosed illness in the middle of my second year at Carleton University, forcing me to drop out and come home. My life has changed pretty much forever: I lost 30 lbs (and struggle to keep what weight I do have!), became exhausted due to insomnia, have almost constant bouts of pain in my right side (just below my ribcage) and have developed severe digestive problems with anything containing more than a few grams of fat: egg yolks, dairy, any meat but white, lean fish and for some odd reason tuna, any oils, and nuts, as well as caffeine and alcohol. Sigh... but enough bitching, I'm still here!
2. I began my university career in Political Science, with a view to become a criminal lawyer. Over my first year I switched my sights onto contract law, then gave up the Poli Sci thing all together and switched my major to Film Studies with an unforseen goal. Now, I'm working on a Bakery Arts certificate from George Brown College, with a goal to open up my own bake shoppe after it's completion and do some food and nutrition writing on the side (thanks to Ivonne and Eric for the inspiration!).
3. I live with my mom and stepdad, as well as with my little sister Teaghan and my stepbrother Dan. I spend as much time as I can with my awesome dad and his girlfriend Martha. I also have a fiance, Andrew, who just completed a Police Foundations diploma at Algonquin College and spoils me absolutely rotten. I have (essentially) two cats and two dogs, though I own none of them. They just happen to live around me: the cats and one dog at home, and my big goofy yellow Lab at my dad's.
4. I love Piers Anthony's Xanth novels. I've read them all and marvel at the under-appreciated art of the pun that he utilizes in every way possible. It doesn't hurt that they have great storylines and fantastic character casts!
5. I was raised through the Montessori system of schooling, beginning at Ellesmere Montessori until I was 7, then completing elementary school at the Montessori Learning Centre of Pickering at age 13 before going to highschool. While I was there I was under the care of one of the most influential people in my life, Verity, who taught me for 6 years. I still go back and visit every so often, along with my sister, and we're always welcomed with open arms!
Ok, so now for the tagging!
- 1x umrühren bitte - Zorra
- Wish I Were Baking - David
- The Allergic Kid - Libby
- Dhanggit's Kitchen - Dhanggit
- Almond Corner - Chriesi
Hope to see some awesome responses soon!