Cholesterol: 24.7 mg
Sodium: 6.9 mg
Total Carbs: 0.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
Protein: 0.4 g
apple butter of mine was at it again, this time in an adaptation of a tried and true pie recipe by none other than Elizabeth Baird (and out of my favourite cookbook of hers, no less). As I usually do to recipes not commissioned by others, I nixed the eggs in favour of a blend of silken tofu and cream cheese, making for a rich, silky custard, and I lowered the fat content by substituting the cream (since you know, it was in use) with a can of evaporated skim milk. Then I kicked up all the spices, poured the filling into my prepped pie shells (you can use pre-made frozen if you want) and stuck them in to bake.
1 12-oz can evaporated skim milk, divided
1 tbsp tapioca flour
2 cups unsweetened apple butter
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
5 oz low-fat silken tofu
2 tbsp low-fat cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350F. Place pie crusts on a baking sheet.
- In a small dish, mix together 2 tbsp of the evaporated milk with the tapioca flour.
- Add remaining milk, apple butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, allspice, tofu, cream cheese and vanilla to the bowl of a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Add the tapioca mixture and puree in.
- Pour into prepared crusts and bake for 60 minutes, until center is mostly set.
- Chill overnight before serving.
Total Fat: 3.7 g
Cholesterol: 1.3 mg
Sodium: 98.5 mg
Total Carbs: 17.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g
Protein: 2.3 g