Sadly, these deliciously orange-packed cakelets are not entirely a creation of my own design. That honour goes to the Gluten Free Goddess Karina, who's blog I spent many an hour paging through looking for a goodie that would be simple enough to pull off and elegant enough to dress up for a gala performance. When I saw her exquisitely detailed recipe for Frosted Orange Creme Cupcakes I knew I had my star. A couple mini-tweaks and a piping bag later the cupcakes were done, frosted and sparkling in their monotonal orange glory. The lack of colour differential was no mistake on my part either. One of the things I picked up over my year at holistic nutrition college was that many people who fall on the Spectrum of autism related disorders have issues with overstimulation from external triggers, not the least being the food on their plate. Last year, a group of food bloggers held an awareness event to that effect, so you can check out the associated blogs for more info if you're interested.
So enjoy these fruity, sweet, tangy cupcakes - regardless of whether you're in need of the modifications or not. Their flavour is perfect for any season and you don't need a special occasion to dig in!
Orange Crème Cupcakes – GFCFMakes 12
2 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp honey (or agave nectar)
juice of 2 oranges
1 tbsp Ener-G Egg Replacer whisked with ¼ cup warm water
1 tbsp pure vanilla
½ cup sorghum flour
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup potato starch (not potato flour!)
½ cup arrowroot starch
½ cup sugar
3 packets stevia
¼ tsp sea salt
pinch nutmeg1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
1 tsp guar gum
zest of 1 orange
1 tbsp Southern Comfort
zest of ½ orange
3 drops natural yellow food colour (optional)
2 drops natural red food colour (optional)
2 cups powdered sugar
2-3 tbsp orange juice (as needed)
Orange sprinkles or sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a twelve cupcake/muffin pan with paper liners.
- With electric beaters, beat oil, honey, orange juice, egg replacer and vanilla until well blended.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat on medium speed for two minutes.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes (I found 20 to be perfect), until slightly tender but not squishy.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove cupcakes and cool on a wire rack.
- Beat shortening, Southern Comfort, orange zest, and food colour (if using) on medium high until smooth.
- Sift in the sugar slowly until incorporated. Add orange juice as needed to make the frosting smooth and creamy.
- Pipe frosting on cupcakes and sprinkle with decorations.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 251.6Total Fat: 6.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 1.2 mg
Total Carbs: 47.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4 gProtein: 1.2 g