I talked to my mom mid-commute, when she was snarled in gridlock on the highway, and she declared she wanted nothing for dinner. I wheedled her a bit and got her to agree to one thing - this soup.
I'm sure that under different circumstances I'd have some witty banter about my mom's picky to unpicky behaviour, but right now, all I can think of is that soup, and how much I hope it brings even a tiny taste of comfort to my mom tonight.
"Momma Wants" Soup
Makes 8 hearty bowls
1 tbsp olive oil
1 rib fennel, chopped
5 large carrots, sliced
4 large ribs celery, sliced
1 medium-large zucchini, sliced
18 button mushrooms, halved if desired
1/4 cup white wine (I used Ogio Pinot Grigio IGT)
9 cups homemade (or low sodium) chicken stock
3 tbsp dehydrated onion flakes
1 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 cup wild rice
1 skinless, boneless chicken thigh, cooked and chopped
3/4 cup cannellini beans
1/4 cup minced Egyptian onion greens (or green onion)
- In a large, deep pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the fennel, carrots, celery, zucchini and mushrooms and cook until the vegetables have begun to soften and the mushrooms have begun to brown.
- Raise the heat to high and pour in the wine, stirring vigorously, then pour in the stock.
- Add onion flakes, rosemary, pepper, salt and wild rice.
- Return to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook (uncovered) 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked chicken, beans and green onion and cook a further 35 minutes.
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 128.5Total Fat: 2.5 g
Cholesterol: 7.2 mg
Sodium: 772.5 mg
Total Carbs: 17.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 4.1 gProtein: 8.9 g