"We aim to inspire the food lover in every healthy eater and inspire the healthy eater in every food lover".Well, they certainly did with me!
This month's theme is perfect for any Summer celebrations, while still staying "up" on a popular feature in fancy restaurants these days - mini desserts! One to two bites of delicious, yet healthy, sweetness that can cap off a meal or be part of a dessert cocktail party! Being that the warmer weather is here, smaller sweets take precedence thanks to their portability and "light" factor. For my submission, I'm bringing some tartlettes made with a lower-sugar, whole wheat crust and a sugar free strawberry "jam" filling (using chia!). The result is still rich, yet not guilt inducing, and perfect for anything from a BBQ to a Midsummer's wedding.
Makes 26-28 (or one 9" single tart crust)
Shortbread Pastry (adapted from The Rosie’s Bakery All-Butter, Cream-Filled, Sugar-Packed Baking Book)
2 1/4 oz unsalted butter (or vegan margarine for baking like Earth Balance Buttery Sticks)
2 1/4 oz organic coconut oil
1/4 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp Sucanat or dark brown sugar
3 (1 g) packets vanilla- (or almond-) flavoured stevia (or 2 more tbsp sugar)
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
3 oz fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
1/4 cup tart cherry juice
1 (1 g) packet vanilla- (or almond-) flavoured stevia
1 1/2 tbsp chia seeds (or white Salba if you prefer)
- In a bowl, cream together butter, coconut oil, salt, Sucanat and stevia until light.
- Add vanilla and beat in, then beat in the flour until a stiff dough forms.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate 4-24 hours.
- Puree the strawberries with cherry juice and stevia.
- Add the chia seeds and pulse in.
- Pour into a bowl, cover and chill 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325F.
- Break dough into small pieces and, using your fingers, pat into the bottom and up the sides of a mini-muffin tin to form a "shell".
- Spoon a tsp of strawberry filling into each shell.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely in the tin before carefully unmoulding.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 4.8 g
Cholesterol: 5.3 mg
Sodium: 14.7 mg
Total Carbs: 5.8 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.0 g
Protein: 0.6 g