I mean, just look at this - to the non-foodie eye, it could be blood-soaked gore of some kind. To the passionate, sugar-obsessed food freak like me, though, it is nothing short of a bikini-destroying super missile. This, dear readers, was my Valentines gift to the noshers at my school: Red Velvet Popcorn.
Granted, the recipe isn't really mine, per se. I adapted it, as I always do because I'm incapable of following a recipe to the letter, but the heart and soul came straight from a fellow blogger. I had been hoarding the popcorn recipe from Cravings of a Lunatic since Kim Bee posted it back in November, and with today being the "Big V" it seemed like the perfect time to bust it out. For a little twist, I added a handful of shredded coconut to the cocoa mixture (kind of like the popular frosting for the cake version), and instead of butter, I kept my mixture vegan and gluten free with Earth Balance "butter". After it's stint in the oven and a few hours to cool, it broke up into luscious, craveable bites of chocolatey, candy-coated pops ideal for midnight movies or singleton soirees.
Shared with Gluten Free Fridays
Red Velvet Popcorn
Adapted from Connor’s Cooking / Cravings of a Lunatic
½ cup brown sugar
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup golden corn syrup
¼ cup water
¼ cup Dutch processed cocoa (I used a "red" cocoa)
½ tsp salt
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup finely shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 250F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
- In a large saucepan combine sugars, corn syrup, water, margarine, cocoa and salt.
- Cook over medium heat until well combined and bubbling.
- Remove from heat and stir in the food colouring, vanilla and coconut.
- Allow to cool 3 minutes, then pour over the popcorn in a large bowl and mix thoroughly until evenly coated.
- Pour the popcorn on the cookie sheet and bake for 45-55 minutes, stirring it 3-4 times during cooking.
Total Fat: 4.2 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 121.9 mg
Total Carbs: 22.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 1.0 g