Considering that we only bought cereal in "jumbo" boxes, I was flabbergasted that I got through as much as I did - now I only have two half boxes sitting in my pantry! One of my favourite "flash of duh" moments was after making a batch of Rice Krispie Squares for one of the school "party" events - we had a ton of Cheerios hanging around, and cereal squares are cheap, easy and kid-friendly, so why not switch up the main ingredient? By the end, I managed to shove 425 grams (just over 15 cups) of them into the bars, plus a few jars of Marshmallow Fluff and a handful of candy coated chocolate!
We toted the bars to the "end of the year picnic" as the dessert for the hot-dog meal, and the leftovers became "afternoon snack" with a cereal (surprise!) trail mix and most of the leftover watermelon and grapes (the hot dogs on the other hand, became this). These are such a perfect sweet to bring to a potluck, picnic or BBQ, when you don't want to fuss with a grand cake, don't have cooler space or enough ice for ice cream, don't want the bother of washing utensils to eat and need to appeal to both kids and adults alike! Not to mention you don't have to fire up the oven, and with the premade Fluff (a total revelation to me when my predecessor in the school kitchen told me about it), you hardly have to turn on the stove either.
This week for #SundaySupper Jennie at The Messy Baker is hosting a Summer BBQ Party with the crew - and you're invited! Together we have everything you’ll need to throw a delicious summer barbecue party this season... from grilled goodies to side dishes, desserts and even a cold beverage or three. You can't go wrong when this many cooks are (out of) the kitchen!
Hot Off the Grill:
- Best Grilled Pork Chops by Hezzi-D's Books & Cooks
- Bleu Cheese Burgers by Juanita's Cocina
- Korean Grilled Flank Steak by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Swedish Blonde Burgers by Eat, Move, Shine
- Hawaiian Hot Dogs by La Cocina De Leslie
- BBQing the Whole Hog, Cuban Style by Webicurean
- Meat Stuffed Jalapenos by The Urban Mrs
- St. Louis Ribs by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Fish Kebabs with Mint Chutney by Soni's Food
- Jalapeno Bacon Burgers by Cookin' Mimi
- Cheddar Cheese Stuffed Bacon Burgers by In the Kitchen with KP
- Curried Pork Sliders with Peanut Sauce & Apple Slaw by Foxes Love Lemons
- Grilled Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken Breasts by Sustainable Dad
- Ditch Dogs by Daily Dish Recipes
- Bison Kabobs by Noshing With The Nolands
On the Side:
- Spicy Baked Beans by The Messy Baker
- Wisconsin Roasted Corn by Curious Cuisiniere
- German Potato Salad by The Foodie Army Wife
- Grilled Baby Potatoes With Peppers And Onions by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Sausage Potato Salad by girlichef
- Lightened Up Fully Loaded Baked Potato Salad by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Homemade Mustards by A Stack of Dishes
- Spicy Grilled Corn Salad by Magnolia Days
- Layered California Pasta Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Grilled Potato Salad by In Fine Balance
- Spicy Bacon and Corn Salad by Hip Foodie Mom
- Three Corns with Japanese Accents by Ninja Baking
- Cucumber Bruschetta by Healthy. Delicious.
- Grilled Zucchini by Supper for a Steal
- Chicken Spinach & Pasta Salad by Family Foodie
- Red, White & Blue Parfait by Country Girl in the Village
- Root Beer Float Sandwich Cookies by Chocolate Moosey
- Gluten Free Brownies by Blueberries & Blessings
- Grilled Stone Fruit Parfait by Pescetarian Journal
- Blueberry Sorbet by Shockingly Delicious
- Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Tres Leches Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Beach Cupcakes by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Grilled Banana Dessert Bar by Home Cooking Memories
- Berries & Cream Pie by Treats & Trinkets
- Raspberry Lemonade Frozen Yogurt Pops by Runner's Tales
- More S'mores by Growing Up Gabel
- Blackberry Peach Cobbler by Neighborfood
- Cornbread Cookies by Pies & Plots
- Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats by What Smells So Good?
- Pineapple Pudding by Granny's Down Home Sassy Southern Cooking
In the Cooler:
- Cherry Caipiroska by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mint Tea Slushes by Cindy's Recipes and Writing
- Prickly Pear Margaritas by Ruffles & Truffles
Funfetti Fluff Cheerio Treats
Makes 24 squares
1/3 cup coconut oil or dairy-free margarine
2 ½ jars (7 ½ oz each) Marshmallow Fluff
1 tbsp honey
375g Cheerios (or your favourite "toasted oat O" cereal)
50g Cheerios (or your favourite "toasted oat O" cereal), crushed finely
⅓ cup sprinkles (I used something called "Candy Coated Chocolate Teenies")
- Melt coconut oil or margarine in a (very) large pot.
- Add Marshmallow Fluff and honey; cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and stir in the whole cereal, crushed cereal and sprinkles (or candy) until well coated.
- Press mixture firmly and evenly into 2 (well greased) 9x13” pans - I suggest foil lasagna ones for easy transport and cleanup! (Note: if you want "tall" squares, make one 9x13" pan and one 9" pan).
- Cool 1 hour, then cut into squares.
Total Fat: 4.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 118.2 mg
Total Carbs: 33.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
Protein: 1.9 g