For some reason when I think sesame oil and scallions, I look for the hot and spicy flavours of Schezuan cuisine. Luckily, one of the bottles I was sent was Szechuan Cooking Sauce, a combination of their delicious tamari, sake, vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger, sesame and plum that is anything but mild... especially when (like me) you add an extra pinch of pepper flakes to the mix! After mixing a few glugs of the sauce, the pepper flakes and a little bit of extra honey into the tofu, it smelled even better, and begged for a big bowl of noodles to play with. In answer, I soaked up a bundle of no-cook brown rice vermicelli, then sauteed up some more ginger, garlic and the last of the green onions. The tofu and noodles were tossed in just enough to warm through and with a sprinkle of sesame seeds, dinner was done! I'd wager this is good cold too, but honestly - we couldn't wait to try it.
In case you didn't make the full batch of dumpling filling, I've included the scaled-down recipe below.
Shared with Waste Not Want Not Wednesday
Sesame Scallion Schezuan Noodles
Makes 2 small (lunch) servings or one (large) dinner serving - pair it with a big bowl of roasted broccoli!
2 oz brown rice vermicelli
2 oz firm or extra firm tofu, drained
1/2 tsp tamari
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp San-J Szechuan Cooking Sauce
2 tbsp water
pinch red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tsp honey
1 tsp canola or grapeseed oil, for cooking
3 large green onions, minced
1/4 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 tsp sesame seeds
- Place the vermicelli in a bowl and cover with hot tap water. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mash the tofu with tamari, sesame oil, Schezuan Sauce, water, pepper flakes and honey. Set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the green onions, ginger and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Drain the noodles and add to the pan along with the tofu mixture, tossing to combine all ingredients well.
- Serve garnished with sesame seeds.
Total Fat: 6.7 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 638.7 mg
Total Carbs: 26.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
Protein: 5.5 g