While the classic spice and nut versions of zucchini bread are delicious in their own right, there's no better way of ensuring a recipe hit around here than by packing in as much chocolate flavour as possible. Not just cocoa, not just chocolate chips, but both plus the divinity known as Nutella found their way into the bowl this time, with homemade ricotta and apple butter for rich moisture and an almost brownie-like texture. While it's not overly sweet, it's the perfect dessert for bittersweet chocolate fans and picky kids alike, that just so happens to contain whole grains and almost a pound of zucchini!
Even though the loaf needs no accoutrements, I couldn't resist and made up a quick cream cheese glaze too. Hey, whoever said eating your vegetables had to be a chore?
Super Chocolatey Zucchini Bread
Makes one 9x5" loaf, 12 slices
1 cup whole wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
6 packets Truvia
½ cup brown sugar
3 tbsp Nutella
½ cup smooth ricotta (something like Buttermilk Ricotta, or use regular ricotta and puree it)
½ cup unsweetened apple butter
¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
14 oz grated zucchini
- Preheat oven to 350°F and grease a loaf pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the egg, Truvia, sugar, Nutella, ricotta and applesauce.
- Add the flours, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder & cocoa, stirring just until moistened.
- Fold in chocolate chips and zucchini.
- Pour batter into prepared pan
- Bake 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then carefully turn out and cool completely on a wire rack
- I suggest serving this topped with a cream cheese glaze or Luxurious Ricotta Frosting
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 4.2 g
Cholesterol: 18.7 mg
Sodium: 53.3 mg
Total Carbs: 38.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.7 g
Protein: 4.9 g