So, for this #RecipeRedux, I have a photo-less recipe and mere memories of the spread. An unadulterated spoonful is almost like the chewing gum in Willy Wonka's factory - it starts as a blast of tangy cranberry and pomegranate flavour, which merges into the sweeter notes of the fruit accented with a stevia-sugar blend. Just as the last hint of sugar begins to fade away, the jalapeno pops it's fiery head in to say hello, leaving a lingering finish that isn't painful so much as addictive. I can say with certainty that while the chili fans on the "tasting panel" (aka my coworkers and houseguests) would have easily polished off a jar on their own, even the non-spiceheads went for seconds, and that's saying something!
This month's Recipe Redux is all about the smoke and spice!
"The New Year is heating up with smoke and spiciness. From boldly flavored smoked salts to actual smoking techniques, subtly smoked food is on-trend. The same can be said for spice as we savor heat from harissa, sriracha and smoked paprika."
Check out the other spicy goodies below!
Spicy Superfruit Jelly
Makes ~3 cups, 48 (1 tbsp) servings
2 ¼ cups cranberry-pomegranate juice
2 small or 1 large jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
1 tbsp calcium water
½ cup Truvia Baking Blend
1 tbsp Pomona's Universal Pectin powder
¼ tsp edible gold flakes (or edible “cake glitter”) (optional)
- Combine cranberry-pomegranate juice and peppers in a saucepan.
- Cover and simmer 10 minutes, then remove from heat, pour into a bowl and let steep overnight. Strain if desired.
- Place juice back into the pot and add the calcium water, mixing well.
- Mix Truvia and pectin powder, set aside.
- Bring juice to a boil and add pectin mixture, whisking vigorously for 2 minutes to dissolve the pectin while the jelly comes back up to a boil.
- Once the jelly returns to a full boil, remove it from the heat.
- Whisk in the gold flakes.
- Fill and seal jars and process 10 minutes in a waterbath.
Total Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 1.6 mg
Total Carbs: 2.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.0 g
Protein: 0.0 g