That said, having a nutritious, balanced breakfast any time of the year or day of the week is important, and even more so if you're on the go. I came up with these portable, decadent-tasting bars packed with protein and fibre so that I'd be able to eat after Zumba, on the way to work or simply when the thought of turning on the stove in the morning was anything but appealing. They're also deceptively moist and tender (almost like a brownie) for being low fat, and the flavour is akin to banana bread! How can you go wrong?
My "secret success" ingredients this go-around were my new favourite flour - kinako - ground tiger nuts and vital wheat gluten. Why can't we have our snacks and eat them this bikini season too?
Banana Power Bars
Makes one 9" pan, 12 pieces
2 large, overripe bananas
¼ cup melted coconut oil
⅓ cup unsweetened applesauce
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup Truvia Baking Blend
½ tbsp vanilla extract
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup kinako (toasted soy flour*) or ground TVP
⅓ cup vital wheat gluten
¼ cup ground tiger nuts (or almonds)
¾ tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ cup chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Coat a 9” square baking dish with cooking spray.
- Mash the bananas, oil, applesauce, sugar, Truvia and vanilla in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add the oats, flours, tigernuts, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda. Stir until just combined.
- Spread in the pan and top with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting into bars.
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 7.2 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 30.7 mg
Total Carbs: 38.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.3 g
Protein: 7.6 g