I whipped up this lightly cheesy, savoury, veggie laden pasta and chicken one-pot dish for a friend who could use a bit of a pick me up. She has a family of 6 at home and a work schedule crazier than mine (if that's possible!). As I know all too well, the cooler weather coupled with the ramped-up insanity of the school year (especially between Thanksgiving and Christmas, when there never seems to be a dull moment!) can wreak havoc on the body, mind and spirit - not to mention the pocketbook! Luckily, this meal is frugal, filling and packed with nutrition (even sneaking in extra veggies like carrots, zucchini and kale) all while tasting like an Italian bistro meal thanks to a touch of homemade ricotta, roasted red peppers and fresh herbs.
Whether you enjoy it fresh off the stove, reheated for lunch the next day or (my favourite) re-baked in a ramekin with a dusting of breadcrumbs on top, this pasta is hearty, Fall comfort food at it's finest. The only thing that makes it better is sharing it with your loved ones!
3-Cheese Chicken Primavera Pasta
3 1/2 cups medium yolk free egg noodles (or gluten free egg noodles)
1 medium zucchini, finely shredded
1 large carrot, finely shredded
1/2 cup chopped roasted red peppers
2 tbsp tomato paste
3 tbsp tomato powder (or 2 tbsp extra tomato paste)
1 tbsp kale powder or spinach powder (optional, I made my own from dehydrated greens)
2 tbsp Egyptian onion flakes (or regular onion flakes)
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp fresh thyme
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
10 oz cooked skinless, boneless chicken breast, shredded
1 tbsp part-skim ricotta (I used Buttermilk Ricotta)
1 tbsp grated Parmesan
1 1/4 oz Friulano or Provolone cheese, shredded
- Cook noodles in a pot of salted, boiling water for 7 minutes, until al dente.
- Remove and reserve 2/3 cup of the pasta water, then drain noodles and return to pot.
- Stir in the zucchini, carrot, red reppers, tomato paste, tomato powder, kale powder, onion flakes, garlic powder, thyme and parsley, along with half the pasta water, until mixture begins to coat the pasta.
- Add the chicken and cheeses and stir to combine well, adding pasta water if necessary to thin.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate.
Total Fat: 4.6 g
Cholesterol: 55.8 mg
Sodium: 165.6 mg
Total Carbs: 26.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
Protein: 18.0 g