With all the hot and spicy fare I've been relishing, I decided it was nigh time to make my own hot sauce. Given that I work with a large contingent of Island women, it made sense to make a "pepper sauce" like the kind they break out at lunch, packed with the hottest peppers and a touch of exotic sweetness for good measure. Four home-grown habaneros, one Hatch chili, a mess of both white and Egyptian onions and a heady dose of garlic later, I had some hot, hot sauce canned away for Winter use and a jar for using now. In addition to the flame of the peppers, I tossed in a cup of shredded homegrown carrots and the flesh of two mangoes to temper the fire, which mellowed just enough to prevent my stomach catching on fire instantaneously. After a few days in the fridge, the sum of the parts married together so well that it formed it's own flavour base under all that nuclear pepper. A simple, plain bowl of shrimp, rice and broccoli turned into a Caribana fiesta with a spoonful stirred through it, and I can't wait to try it as a marinade too!
|The hot sauce is the bright orange goodness in the back!|
This week's #SundaySupper is loving warming foods, from soups to stews, warm desserts and drinks. Our host this week is T.R. Crumbley from Gluten Free Crumbley. Thanks T.R.!
- Drunken Pumpkin Spice Latte by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Hot Mulled Caramel Apple Sangria by The Crumby Cupcake
- Mexican Atole by Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Hot Spiked Apple Cider by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Apple Pear Crisp by The Freshman Cook
- Bananas Foster by Pies and Plots
- Chocolate Hazelnut Lava Cake by Brunch with Joy
- Fudge Pudding Cake by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Honeycrisp Apple Tart by The Redhead Baker
- Pumpkin Cheesecake in Pumpkins by Desserts Required
- Warm Cardamom and Coconut Rice Pudding by Fearless Dining
Main Dishes and Soups
- Beef Brats and Beans Soup by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Beef Pot Pie with Herbed Biscuits by From Gate to Plate
- Best Ever White Bean and Mushroom Soup by Pancake Warriors
- Braised Venison with Plums by Food Lust People Love
- Butternut Squash Chili by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Butternut Squash Risotto with Pears and Sage by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Carbonnade Flamande by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Classic Italian Meat Sauce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Creamy Cauliflower Broccoli Cheese Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Hearty Chickpea Soup by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Creamy Stove-Top Alfredo with Bacon and Green Beans by Peaceful Cooking
- Crockpot Creamy Chicken and Noodles by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Curry Debal by Palatable Pastime
- Easy Sweet Potato Soup by Healing Tomato
- Easy Zuppa Toscana Soup Copycat by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- French Onion Soup by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Gingered Butternut Squash Soup by Noshing With The Nolands
- Hearty Turkey Lentil Soup by A Gouda Life
- Hearty Vegetable Beef Soup by Party Food and Entertaining
- Mango Habanero Sauce by What Smells So Good?
- Oxtail Stew by Nosh My Way
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting by Serena Bakes Simply from Scratch
- Red Lentil Soup by My San Francisco Kitchen
- Roasted Squash Soup by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Turkey Enchilada Casserole with Salsa Verde by Food Done Light
- Slow Cooker English Roast by Wholistic Woman
- Slow Cooker Lamb Rogan Josh by Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Slow Cooker Pot Roast with Mushroom Gravy by Feeding Big
- Slow Cooker White Chicken Chili by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Spice Rubbed Braised Beef by FamFriendsFood
- Spicy Meatball Tortilla Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Sweet Potato Soup with Bacon by Cooking Chat
- Turkey Chipotle Chili by The Complete Savorist
- Tuscan White Bean Soup with Ham by Big Bear’s Wife
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It's easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Makes 3 pints, 48 (1-tbsp) servings
4 habanero peppers
1 Hatch or jalapeno pepper, chopped
2 red mangoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
1 red onion, coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
3 garlic scapes, chopped
4 green onions, chopped
1 tbsp fresh thyme
1 cup shredded carrot
¼ cup spiced rum
1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
2 tbsp honey
¼ cup cider vinegar
¼ cup lime juice
½ tsp salt
- Remove the seeds from all but one of the habanero peppers and chop coarsely.
- Add to a food processor with the Hatch pepper, mango, onion, garlic, garlic scapes, green onions, thyme, carrot, rum, and ginger and puree until smooth.
- Transfer to a medium saucepan and stir in the honey, vinegar, lime juice and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a brisk simmer and cook 10 minutes.
- Process 15 minutes in a waterbath.
Total Fat: 0.0 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 26.8 mg
Total Carbs: 3.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.4 g
Protein: 0.2 g