I've been paging through Joanne Fluke's Lake Eden Cookbook again (there the Merry Berry Cookies came from) and discovered these semi-tropical goodies perfect for bringing a bit of brightness to the holiday cookie tray. Of course, I had to throw in my own flair too, adding dried pineapple and using coconut and whole wheat flours. I also added a touch of extra goodness by swapping in Truvia for half the sugar, non-fat Greek yoghurt for sour cream and silken tofu for the eggs. The end result was perfect - thicker cookies baked up like scones and would be more than passable at afternoon or mid-morning tea time, while smaller drops got a slight crisp to the outside but stayed moist and fluffy inside. The crushed pineapple adds a sweet -tart flavour that is echoed by the cranberries and stays bright even after baking!
Cranberry Pineapple Drop Cookies
½ cup salted butter, softened
½ cup non-hydrogenated shortening
1 cup sugar
12 packets Truvia
¾ cup plain non-fat Greek yoghurt or low fat (not fat free) sour cream
½ tsp lemon extract
1 tbsp vanilla
8 oz silken tofu, pureed
16 oz crushed pineapple, well drained
2 ½ cups flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
½ cup coconut flour
½ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups sweetened dried cranberries
1 cup diced dried pineapple
coarse sugar, for topping
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the sour cream, extracts and pureed tofu, beating well.
- Stir in the drained, crushed pineapple.
- Gradually blend in the flours, ginger, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Fold in the cranberries and pineapple.
- Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least overnight (up to 1 week)
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line a cookie sheet with Silpat.
- Scoop balls of dough onto the sheet, sprinkle with coarse sugar and flatten slightly with damp fingertips.
- Bake 25-26 minutes, until golden and firm (these are cakey).
- Cool ten minutes on the cookie sheet before moving to a wire rack.
Total Fat: 3.0 g
Cholesterol: 3.5 mg
Sodium: 13.9 mg
Total Carbs: 14.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.2 g
Protein: 1.6 g