Of course, in my gift boxes I had to include my own batches of cookies, and this year ginger was a predominant theme. I'm always spurred to make a gingery concoction or two at the holidays since a few of my favourite giftees are ginger-holics, and I try to never repeat a recipe (mostly because I really don't have the ability to follow one most of the time!). Last year, one of the recipes I found and couldn't wait to make involved the addition of one of my favourite "soft cookie" ingredients in an unusual flavour - butterscotch pudding mix! I have never paired ginger with butterscotch in my mind, but upon reflection realized the caramel tones really work well - especially since it's a less cloyingly sweet option normally played by molasses (which these cookies lack).
I did play around with the original recipe, though - mostly in terms of spices, although I did use half non-hydrogenated shortening (for easier rolling and better shape retention) and some of my Truvia Baking Blend (for less sugar!) too. The butterscotch, which I originally worried would overpower the cookies, actually only lent a subtle, yet undeniably decadent, flavour while providing the full amount of tenderness I've come to expect by pudding-mix cookies. Not really either chewy or cakey, they're a unique option for any spice cookie fans out there!
Makes ~ 24
¼ cup salted butter, softened
½ cup non-hydrogenated shortening
¼ cup packed Muscovado or dark brown sugar
¼ cup Truvia Baking Blend
3 ⅜ oz (1 pkg) instant butterscotch pudding mix
½ tbsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tbsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp white pepper
¼ tsp black pepper
- In a bowl, beat together the butter, shortening, brown sugar, Truvia and pudding mix until well combined.
- Add the vanilla and egg, beating well.
- Add the flours, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and both peppers, mixing well.
- Wrap in plastic and chill overnight.
- Heat oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment.
- Roll out dough between sheets of waxed paper to ¼” thick, then cut into desired shapes.
- Place 2” inches apart on the baking sheets. Re-wrap and chill trimmings 1 hour before re-rolling.
- Bake, 1 sheet at a time, for 11 minutes. Cool on the sheets.
Total Fat: 6.3 g
Cholesterol: 12.9 mg
Sodium: 84.5 mg
Total Carbs: 11.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
Protein: 1.5 g