What evolved over several hours was a slightly sweet, dark rye-wheat dough that I packed with hearty Flax Plus® Multibran Flakes (well, those that I didn't eat right out of the bag) and Gluten Free Fruit & Nut Granola. A touch of traditional caraway and my "cheat" four sourdough (cider vinegar) added to the "hearty rye" flavour without overshadowing the molasses and dark agave I used. This bread was, oddly enough, better tasting on the second or third day than freshly cooled, but truly any which way it was a fantastic start or supplement to the day!
Don't forget to enter the #OnMyPath Giveaway! You can win an awesome prize pack of Nature's Path goodies or even ORGANIC GRANOLA FOR A YEAR!
Flax Flake Rye Bread
Makes 1 round loaf, 16 slices
1 ½ cups dark rye flour
2 cups whole wheat bread flour
2 cups Nature’s Path© Flax Plus® Multibran Flakes
1 tbsp instant yeast
½ tbsp caraway seed
½ tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 ½ cups water
2 tbsp cider vinegar
2 tbsp fancy molasses
1 tsp raw agave nectar
3 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp cocoa powder
½ cup Nature’s Path© Gluten Free Fruit & Nut Granola
- Mix flours, flake cereal, yeast, caraway, cinnamon, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook (or a large bowl).
- Combine water, vinegar, molasses, honey, oil and cocoa and heat on the stovetop or in the microwave until warm to touch but not boiling hot.
- Add water mixture to flour mixture.
- Knead (or mix with a *very* sturdy spoon) until mixture forms a stiff dough.
- If mixing by hand, turn out onto a floured board and knead 10 minutes. If using a mixer, continue kneading for 8-9 minutes, or until mostly smooth and elastic.
- Knead in the granola.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise 1 ½ hours.
- Punch down dough and shape into a ball.
- Place in a round 8” cake pan, cover and let rise 1 hour or until doubled.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Bake 55 minutes.
- Remove from pan immediately and cool on a rack.
Total Fat: 4.1 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 24.3 mg
Total Carbs: 27.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.7 g
Protein: 4.8 g