There wasn't quite enough chicken to classify it as a "chicken curry" dish, but I knew I had a block (or ten) of tofu in the freezer too, so I pulled it out, micro-thawed it and quickly pressed it while I prepped and cooked the rest of the ingredients. After a quick simmer, a flavourful, pleasantly garlicky, just-spicy-enough dish was ready, and not only was is delicious on it's own
What are some of your favourite "pantry / fridge / freezer raid" meals?
Chicken-Tofu Green Curry
Serves 8 with rice
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large onion, halved and sliced thinly
1 tbsp minced ginger
6 garlic cloves, minced
7 oz shredded green cabbage
3 tbsp Green Thai Curry Paste (or storebought)
1 tbsp fish sauce
1 tbsp Sriracha (to taste)
1 can (14.5 ounces) “lite” coconut milk, well shaken
½ cup fat free, low sodium chicken broth
juice and zest of 1 lime
12 oz firm tofu, pressed and cubed
¾ lb cooked chicken or turkey, chopped
1 package (500g) PC Bangkok-Style Vegetable Blend (broccoli, carrots, green beans, baby corn, red bell pepper, onions, mushrooms and sugar snap peas), unthawed - use a similar Asian vegetable medley or your favourite fresh veggies
1 cup minced fresh basil leaves (preferably Thai or Opal basil... I used Emerald Wine)
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook 5 minutes, until softened.
- Add ginger, garlic, and cabbage and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes or until cabbage begins to soften.
- Stir in curry paste, fish sauce, Sriracha, coconut milk, broth, lime zest, tofu and chicken.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in vegetable blend and cook about 8 minutes, until heated through.
- Stir in basil leaves and serve.
Total Fat: 10.2 g
Cholesterol: 37.5 mg
Sodium: 432.9 mg
Total Carbs: 10.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
Protein: 18.8 g