Being a family of citrus lovers, for this green #SundaySupper there was clearly only one option.With limes of all sorts in season right now, their tangy, bright flavour is too good to pass up! While the zest is critical for flavour and colour (at least for the glaze), the juice also plays a critical role in keeping the sweetness factor down. I actually used a blend of limes in this - key limes in the glaze and Persian (aka "regular") limes in the cake, and the medley had a flavour all its own. To really make these healthier bars stand out on the dessert tray, I used Kamut flour for a rich, almost buttery flavour and colour, and added a touch of Greek yogurt for extra moisture. As a nod to my mom (it's her birthday today!) a dose of custard powder added a "key lime pie" flavour and a pillowy softness I've yet to find in any other cake.
Forget St. Patty - I'm eating this by myself!
- Get Your Greens Smoothie by Hardly A Goddess
- Green Breakfast Omelet Bites by Momma’s Meals
- Green Eggs and Ham by Feeding Big
- Green Scrambled Eggs with Ham by Cricket’s Confections
- Kuku Sabzi – Persian Herb Frittata by Caroline’s Cooking
- Matcha Overnight Oats by Brunch-n-Bites
- Southwest Breakfast Spinach Wrap by The Freshman Cook
- Super Green Smoothie by Simple and Savory
Must Make Main Dishes
- Chicken Paillard Arugula Truffle Salad by Family Foodie
- Gambian Spinach with Peanut Sauce by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Grilled Lettuce and Steak Salad by Sunday Supper Movement
- Pan Roasted Cod on Spinach Basil Risotto with Lemon Butter Sauce by Positively Stacey
- Poached Cod with Pesto Wine Sauce by Life Tastes Good
- Potato Leek Skillet Pizza by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Sautéed Garlic and Parmesan Chicken With Spinach by My Sweet Savings
- Skinny Reuben Wraps with Homemade 1000 Island Dressing by For the Love of Food
- Tequila Chicken Salad by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Brussels Sprout and Kale Salad by Pies and Plots
- Green Goddess Bibb Salad by Palatable Pastime
- Pixie Dust Salad with Avocados, Pixie Tangerines and Radishes by Shockingly Delicious
- Quinoa Tabbouleh by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Sesame Wedge Salad with Key Lime Vinaigrette & Pickled Green Tomatoes by Gourmet Everyday
- Shades of Green Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Zucchini Carpaccio Salad by The Bitter Side of Sweet
- Colcannon by Wholistic Woman
- Green Goddess Dip by From the Bookshelf
- Grilled Cabbage with Spicy Lime Dressing by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Irish Cabbage by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Miso Roasted Broccoli by Life Currents
- Pistachio Parmesan Oven Fries by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Books n’ Cooks
- Soy Glazed Sugar Snap Peas by Food Lust People Love
- Spinach Tots by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Warm Brussels Sprout Slaw by Jersey Girl Cooks
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Super Lime Bars
Makes one 9" pan, 12 pieces
2 tbsp shortening
2 tbsp coconut oil
¼ cup vanilla custard powder
Zest of 4 limes
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp egg replacer powder, prepared (I used my Homemade Egg Replacer)
1 cup Kamut (or whole wheat pastry) flour
1/3 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
½ tsp baking soda
½ cup icing sugar
Zest of 3 key limes (or 1 regular lime)
2 tbsp key lime (or regular lime) juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare an 8” or 9” cake pan by lining it with parchment paper, letting the parchment paper hang out the edges (for handles.)
- In a mixing bowl, combine shortening, coconut oil, custard powder, zest, sugar and egg replacer, beating well.
- Add half the flour, followed by all the yogurt, beating until incorporated.
- Stir in remaining flour, baking soda and salt.
- Bake for 22-28 minutes, until tests done.
- Let bars cool in pan for 10 minutes, then cut (in the pan) and set aside.
- Combine the icing sugar, zest and juice. Microwave on HI for 30 seconds.
- Pour over bars and let dry.
Total Fat: 4.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.3 mg
Sodium: 6.2 mg
Total Carbs: 19.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.4 g
Protein: 1.6 g