1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
2 tbsp cornstarch
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tbsp baking powder
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 tbsp Chinese 5-spice
1/2 cup shortening
1/4 cup canola oil
6 bananas, mashed
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp dark agave nectar (or honey)
1/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup low-fat soy milk mixed with 1 tbsp lemon juice (or rice milk or dairy buttermilk)
5 oz silken tofu, pureed (or 2 eggs, or other replacer equivalent)
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup miniature chocolate chips (make sure they're GF)
- Preheat oven to 350 F, grease 2 loaf pans or line with parchment
- Combine flours, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 5-spice in a bowl.
- Cut in the shortening until the mixture has the consistency of coarse meal (like with pie dough).
- In another bowl, beat together oil, bananas, brown sugar, agave, orange juice, soy milk, tofu puree and vanilla.
- Add to the crumbly mixture and combine well (you don't have to worry about overmixing here, get out the lumps).
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Bake 50 minutes - 1 hour, until a toothpick inserted in the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan before turning out onto a rack and cooling completely.
Total Fat: 9.2 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 6.4 mg
Total Carbs: 36.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.6 g
Protein: 2.4 g