GF (Great-Full) Muffins
1/2 acorn squash
2 tbsp canola oil
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 large sweet potato, grated
1 medium apple, grated
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease 12 muffin cups (don't line them - the muffins tend to stick).
- Place acorn squash upside down in a microwaveable, covered casserole. Add 1 tbsp of water.
- Microwave for 6 minutes, then rotate position of the casserole (if you don't have a turntable) and microwave 6 minutes longer.
- Scrape squash pulp into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small dish combine flaxseed and hot water. Let stand 10 minutes, then scrape into the bowl with the squash.
- Add oil, maple syrup, and coconut sugar, beat together until smooth.
- In a medium bowl whisk together starches, rice flour, millet flour, guar gum, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and spice.
- Stir into the sugar mixture until just combined, then add sweet potato, apple and raisins, folding in.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Cool in the tins for 5 minutes, then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Apple - Hazelnut Muffins (Gluten Free and Vegan)
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1/4 cup hot water
1/4 cup millet flour
1/4 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup rice flour
1/4 cup potato starch (NOT potato flour)
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp guar gum
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ginger
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 tsp pure vanilla extract (make sure it's GF)
1 tsp rice vinegar
1/4 cup soy milk
1 apple, with peel, coarsely grated
3/4 cup whole hazelnuts, toasted and chopped finely (not ground, though)
- Preheat oven to 350F, line 12 muffin cups with paper cups.
- In a small bowl, mix together flaxseed and hot water. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, starches, baking powder, baking soda, guar gum, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together brown sugar, oil, vanilla and rice vinegar.
- Add flaxseed mixture and blend in well.
- Add the dry mixture and stir in gently, then add the soy milk and stir just to combine all the ingredients.
- Fold in shredded apple and hazelnuts.
- Portion into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake 35 minutes, until they test done.
- Remove from the pans immediately and cool on wire racks.