Chickpea Chocolate – Raisin Chippers
1 (15-oz) can chickpeas (or 2 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
1 ½ tbsp vanilla extract
3-4 tbsp water
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 tbsp sugar
2/3 cup vegan margarine or butter
1 cup oat flour
1 cup spelt flour (or whole wheat flour)
½ cup old fashioned rolled oats
1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
1 ¼ cups chocolate-covered raisins
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, line 2-3 baking sheets with parchment or silicone.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the chickpeas, vanilla and water until very smooth. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the margarine and sugars until well blended.
- Add the chickpea puree and beat in well.
- Whisk together the flours, oats, cornstarch, baking soda, nutmeg and salt in a bowl and gradually beat into the creamed mixture until well combined.
- By hand, fold in the chocolate covered raisins.
- Scoop onto the prepared sheets and flatten slightly (they don’t spread much as they bake).
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, rotating the pans in the oven halfway through baking time.
- Cool on the sheets for 15 minutes before transferring cookies to wire cooling racks.
Total Fat: 5.9 g
Cholesterol: 0.8 mg
Sodium: 103.9 mg
Total Carbs: 22.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.9 g
Protein: 2.2 g