I set about concocting this recipe with the idea to capture all the flavours that I love from carrot cake (except for the nuts and raisins... ick!) and turn it into a toaster-friendly, jam-smearable morning snack for my mom. Along with the carrots, the end bits from a jar of pineapple jam, the last of some coconut milk and some remaining coconut shreds in my freezer melded into the slightly sweet, moist dough – and while the end result looked nothing like it’s inspiration, it got the thumbs up in the taste department! Hopefully those reading Susan’s YeastSpotting roundup this Friday think so too!
Yeasted Carrot - Coconut Bread
2 cups flour
1 1/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tbsp instant yeast
1 tsp allspice
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
1 tsp vital wheat gluten (optional)
2/3 cup of warm, full-fat coconut milk
1 tsp vanilla
¾ cup pureed, roasted carrots
2 tbsp pineapple jam
3 tbsp brown sugar
¼ tsp salt
2/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, whisk together flours, yeast, allspice, flaxseed and gluten.
- In another small bowl, combine warm milk, vanilla, carrots, pineapple jam, brown sugar and salt.
- Add to the dry ingredients and begin mixing on low to incorporate slightly, then add coconut and continue mixing to form a cohesive dough.
- Knead for 7-10 minutes (a stand mixer is helpful as it is a very sticky dough).
- Cover and allow to rest 40 minutes.
- Pat dough out into a large rectangle, then roll up tightly from the short end into a log.
- Place into a greased loaf pan (tucking the ends under), cover and allow to rise 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Bake loaf 40-45 minutes, then turn out of pan immediately and cool completely on a rack before slicing.
Total Fat: 3.7 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 8.9 mg
Total Carbs: 26.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.3 g
Protein: 4.1 g