1/3 cup granulated or super-fine sugar
¼ tsp salt
½ tsp lemon juice
Very Vanilla Buttercream Frosting
1/3 cup vanilla sugar
½ cup boiling water
1/3 cup meringue powder
1 tbsp vanilla
1 cup cultured unsalted butter, softened
1 cup shortening, softened
- With clean beaters, whip egg whites until soft peaks, fold into the batter.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake on the lowest rack of the oven, covering with foil halfway through, 55-60 minutes, until it tests done.
- Cool in the pan 1 hour, then refrigerate a minimum of 1 hour before unmoulding.
- Chill 30 minutes before use.
- Level the top of the well-chilled cake and slice horizontally into three even layers.
- Spread second layer with remaining ½ of the filling and place the final layer on top.
- Using some of the remaining frosting, apply a thin “crumb coat” over the entire outside of the cake.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Finish covering the top and sides of cake with the remaining frosting, making it as smooth as possible.
- Freeze 30 minutes.
- Pour ganache gently onto the centre of the top of the cake and spread to form “drips” or a “shadow” effect down the sides.
Cholesterol: 120.8 mg
Sodium: 224.2 mg
Dietary Fiber: 1.0 g