But guess what - these indulgences hide a bit of a nutritious secret. Tucked away in amongst all the rich, gooey stuff is chickpea flour, whole-grain Kamut flour, and even pureed prunes! Oh, I did. You know what though, these may be a bit lighter on your waistline but they are all there on your lips!
If you are as die-hard of a peanut butter and chocolate fan as I am, you may just have to lock these away after your "quality control" check (or your second, or third). Luckily, they keep extrordinarily well in both fridge and freezer and stay moist long after the cravings pass. They don't need a gilding of frosting or ganache to be divine all on their own but then again, a little peanut butter cream cheese frosting never hurts either! They're really a toss-up between cupcake and muffin, so I'll let you decide who rules in your kitchen.
Triple Chocolate Peanut Butter "Cupkins"
Makes 151 oz chopped bittersweet chocolate
4 oz diced peanut butter cups
2 oz cream cheese
½ cup flour
½ cup Kamut flour
½ cup chickpea flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
¼ cup prune baby food
½ cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbsp vinegar
½ cup warm coffee
1/3 cup warm water
- Preheat oven to 375F, grease or line 15 muffin cups.
- Melt together bittersweet chocolate, peanut butter cups and cream cheese until smooth and fluid. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine flours, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir in the prune puree, brown sugar, vanilla, vinegar, coffee, warm water and melted mixture. Stir just until moist.
- Fill muffin tins ¾ the way with batter.
- Bake 20 minutes. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes and turn out onto a rack to cool completely.
Total Fat: 4.8 g
Cholesterol: 4.6 mg
Sodium: 41.5 mg
Total Carbs: 24.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 3.2 g
FYI - Craving some writing with a healthier tone? I will soon be publishing articles on the Toronto-based Nutrition in Motion and Total Cleanse sites on a variety of tops all related to nutritious, wholesome living. Hop on over and read the bites from Rebecca and the additional writer writers and stay tuned for my contibutions!