As soon as I saw the Millet & Buckwheat Granola on Vanilla and Spice last week, I knew I had to make something similar myself. Using the kasha and millet base as inspiration, I took it all the way to Asia with black rice, coconut, sesame seeds, Chinese 5 spice, fresh ginger, pineapple and almonds. It's a crunchy, munchy, sweet and spicy snack or breakfast everyone can enjoy! My mom added sprinkles to a bowl of warm, chunky applesauce for a snack, and its a great addition to bowl of oatmeal for a punch of crunch, protein and flavour. I bet that it would also be a perfect fit over ice cream or poached pears for dessert!
Shared with Ricki's Wellness Weekend,Gluten Free Mondays and Gluten Free Fridays
Gluten Free 5-Spice Granola
Adapted from http://www.vanilla-and-spice.com/2012/11/toasted-buckwheat-millet-granola.html
Makes 5 cups
1 cup toasted buckwheat (kasha)
1 cup cooked black rice, cold
2 tbsp uncooked millet
1/3 cup unsweetened long-shred coconut
¼ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup toasted pumpkin seeds
¼ cup sesame seeds (I used black since I had them)
1 ½ tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 tsp fresh grated ginger
Pinch kosher salt
2 tbsp almond butter
2 tbsp agave nectar
3 tbsp coconut or raw sugar
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ tsp coconut extract
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ cup chopped dried pineapple
2 tbsp dried cranberries (I used raspberry flavoured, they were the only ones I had)
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the kasha, rice, millet, coconut, almonds, seeds, 5 spice, ginger and salt.
- Melt together the almond butter, agave, coconut sugar and coconut oil until runny.
- Pour the mixture over the dry ingredients and stir with a rubber spatula until the dry ingredients are evenly coated.
- Spread mixture onto a lined baking sheet and press into a piece that holds together.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Stir, then return to the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and stir in the pineapple and cranberries.
- Place in the turned off oven and let cool 1 hour.
- Cool completely on the baking sheet.
Amount Per Serving (1/2 cup)
Total Fat: 9.7 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 21.4 mg
Total Carbs: 29.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.8 g
Protein: 4.9 g