- Healthier kids’ meals
- Whole grain items in kids’ meals
- Fruit/vegetable children’s side items
- Oven-baked items in kids’ meals (e.g. baked chicken fingers, oven-baked fries)
- Children’s portions of adult menu items
Children's meals are not the only trend I'm looking forward to seeing good things from. Vegetables are experiencing a resurgence in popularity, and both locally grown and organic produce are at the forefront. Sustainable seafood, non-wheat noodles and Asian cuisine are also on the radar, and it was all of these that I looked to when it came to planning this month's #RecipeRedux submission. We were asked to take one of the many food trends out there and translate them into a healthy, delicious soup or stew.
I made this noodle soup bowl with tons of broccoli (which soaks up the broth and tastes delicious!), sustainable, cold water shrimp and a mixture of bean thread (cellophane) and kelp noodles. A gluten free lobster soup base adds a ton of flavour too, and the finished product reminded me of the noodle soups you can buy in the Chinatowns of downtown Toronto (another trending topic!).
Lobster Broth Noodle Bowl
Serves 1, generously
13 large raw shrimp, shell-on
1 tsp Better Than Bouillon lobster base (or your favourite gluten free broth powder)
1/2 tsp tamari
2 1/2 cups hot water
2 oz bean thread noodles
5.3 oz (150g) broccoli, chopped
1/2 bag (6 oz) kelp noodles (I used Sea Tangle), drained and separated into strands
Sriracha sauce and pickled ginger, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400F and spread the shrimp out in one layer on a lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 6-8 minutes, until done. Set aside (peel if you really want to).
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, whisk together the lobster base, soy sauce and water and bring to a boil.
- Add the bean thread noodles and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
- Add the broccoli and kelp noodles and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Pour into a bowl and top with the roasted shrimp, Sriracha sauce and pickled ginger.
Total Fat: 2.0 g
Cholesterol: 215.0 mg
Sodium: 1,262.4 mg
Total Carbs: 59.6 g
Dietary Fiber: 7.0 g
Protein: 23.6 g