With the popularity of "cake" and "cookie" ball confections (and my experience making a bunch of recipes from Cake Balls: More Than 60 Delectable and Whimsical Sweet Spheres of Goodness back in December), it's no wonder that when I saw these cookies on Tales of an Overtime Cook turning the baked goody into an eggless, extra tangy "truffle" popped into my head immediately! Amusingly, very little of the original cookie recipe translated into the dark chocolate balls you see here. For one, they're covered in dark, luscious chocolate, and they aren't baked. Then of course, there are the facts that they're eggless, have almost no flour, a lot less sugar and have a mixed base of butter and cream cheese! The finished (uncoated) truffle centres keep almost forever in the freezer, and I just pull out a few of these and dunk them in chocolate whenever I need a quick gift or party tray item. That said - it's worth making a double (or triple) batch!
This week the fabulous #SundaySupper team is sharing any and all things citrus!
Better with Citrus Breakfasts:
- Orange Ricotta Pancakes from Gotta Get Baked
Big On Citrus Breads & Condiments:
- Honey Lime Dressing from Ruffles & Truffles
- Lemon Poppyseed Sweet Bread from Food Lust People Love
- Meyer Lemon Pistachio Loaf from The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Moroccan Preserved Lemons from MarocMama
Make You Pucker Salads, Sides, & Main Dishes:
- Ceviche from Cookistry
- Cilantro Lime Rice from Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Citrus Ginger Chicken from Kudos Kitchen
- Easy Indian Lemon Chicken from Soni’s Food
- Grilled Orange & Lime Chicken Thighs from Big Bear’s Wife
- Meyer Lemon-Garlic Shrimp & Asparagus with Brown Rice from Daily Dish Recipes
- Orange Chicken from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Red Cabbage and Red Pepper Salad with Citrus Dressing from Family Foodie
- Seared Cod with Grapefruit Fennel Slaw from Magnolia Days
- Tangy Lemon Rice with Grated Mango & Roasted Cashew from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Sour Citrusy Sweets & Desserts:
- Blood Orange Sorbet from My Cute Bride
- Broiled Oranges with Toasted Coconut from Neighborfood
- Clementine Curd from Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Creamsicle Cupcakes from The Meltaways
- Dairyfree Key Lime Meringue Bliss from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- Fresh Lemon Mousse from Comfy Cuisine
- Frozen Lemon Dessert from Gourmet Drizzles
- Gluten Free Orange Pound Cake from Simply Gourmet
- Honey and Lemon Cake from Happy Baking Days
- Key Lime Biscotti from Juanita’s Cocina
- Key Lime Cheesecake from Flour on My Face
- Key Lime Cookie Bars from Supper for a Steal
- Key Lime Truffles from What Smells So Good?
- Lemon Blueberry Polenta Cake from Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Lemon Coconut Cinnamon Rolls from Chocolate Moosey
- Lemon Cookies from Basic N Delicious
- Lemon Cream Pie Push Pops from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Lemon Layer Cake from Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Lemon Ricotta Cake from The Urban Mrs.
- Meyer Lemon Snack Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting from Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Mini Meyer Lemon Pies from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Mini Orange Cream & Lemon Cream Scones from The Foodie Army Wife
- No-Bake Lemon Cheese Cakes w/Blueberry-Lemon Sauce from Momma’s Meals
- Olive Oil Cake with Orange Marmalade from Hip Foodie Mom
- Omiyage California Citrus Cake from Ninja Baking
- Orange Cake with Orange Syrup from The Lovely Pantry
- Pink Grapefruit Pie from In the Kitchen With Audrey and Maurene
- Pink Lemonade Pound Cake from In the Kitchen with KP
- Sugar-Free Lemon Meringue Pie from Webicurean
- Tarte au Citron from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Sour Sips & Drinks:
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter tonight (Sunday, March 31st) to talk all about citrus recipes! Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more delicious recipes and food photos.
What's your favourite citrus food or recipe?
Key Lime Truffles
2 tbsp cream cheese (regular or low fat – NI is for full fat), softened
3 tbsp salted butter, softened (add a pinch of salt if using unsalted)
¼ cup sugar
Zest of 1 lime
Juice of ½ lime
¼ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup graham cracker crumbs
Dark or white chocolate, melted, for coating
- In a bowl, beat together the cream cheese, butter, sugar, lime zest and lime juice until well combined.
- Mix together the flour and graham cracker crumbs and beat into the cheese mixture to form a scoopable “batter-dough”.
- Roll small balls of the mixture and refrigerate at least 1 hour to firm up (or freeze at this point).
- Dip in melted chocolate and allow to set.
- When coated, truffles can be kept at room temperature for 1 week or 3 weeks in the fridge.
Total Fat: 2.5 g
Cholesterol: 6.2 mg
Sodium: 26.7 mg
Total Carbs: 5.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 0.5 g