My first encounter with these spicy, soft and chewy cookies was out of a bag from the grocery store, but I'll never forget the combination of the bittersweet molasses, heady cinnamon, richly sweet dates, and toasted pecans. There was a "homey-ness" to them that smacked of kitchens of grandmas past, and while most of my friends never developed the love for them I did, they're definitely a cult-followed staple in households like ours! I always wondered about the name "lassy mog", figuring it had something to do with molasses but no idea what else. When my grandparents returned from a trip to the Newfoundland shores, they brought with them this recipe and the missing piece of trivia: turns out the name comes from the East-coast terms "lassy" (molasses) and "mogs" (soft, low rising cakes).
I couldn't think of a more quintessential Canadian recipe to share on our country's birthday, and although I made it egg free for our household you can certainly go the traditional route with a single large egg. Either way, I definitely encourage you to try them - you might find yourself coming to visit before long!
⅓ cup salted butter, softened
⅓ cup dark brown sugar
¼ cup unsulphured molasses
3 tbsp whole milk
1 tbsp Homemade Egg Replacer (or Ener-G)
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp cloves
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp salt
⅔ cup whole wheat flour
⅔ cup barley flour
¼ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ cup diced dates, soaked in hot water and drained
¼ cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained
⅓ cup chopped, toasted pecans
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add the molasses, milk, egg replacer, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, allspice and salt, blending well.
- Stir in flours, baking soda, and baking powder until mixed.
- Fold in dates, raisins and pecans.
- Wrap in plastic and chill at least 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line baking sheets with parchment.
- Scoop tablespoons of dough onto the sheets and slightly flatten with the bottom of a lightly greased glass.
- Bake, one sheet at a time, for 14 minutes (cookies will appear slightly underdone).
- Cool completely on baking sheets.
Total Fat: 3.5 g
Cholesterol: 6.4 mg
Sodium: 44.8 mg
Total Carbs: 14.0 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.2 g
Protein: 1.0 g