Today, our sandwiches are really a combination of storebought peanut butter and homemade jams and bread, and this granola that I adapted from the blog Peanut Butter Fingers is no different in combining its elements. With a fabulous crunchy peanut butter sweetened with honey and a generous spoonful of homemade jam, the whole shebang toasts to perfection - no extra oil necessary! While it's easily doubled or tripled, I made a small batch of this because, knowing me, the 1/4 cup serving size would soon turn into a 1 cup portion! As it is, the addictive mixture is not only a unique twist on breakfast, but is a fantastic topper for ice cream, a base for yogurt parfaits, a delightful crunchy topping for baked apples and even the secret ingredient in our "new" versions of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches*!
PB & J Granola
Makes 2 cups, 8 (1/4 cup) servings
2 tbsp natural chunky peanut butter
2 tbsp honey
1 tbsp your favourite fruit jam - we are loving this year's Peach - Almond Melba Jam
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp vanilla
1 cup large flake oats
¼ cup wheat germ
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a cookie sheet with parchment or Silpat
- Combine peanut butter, honey and jam in a large bowl and microwave about 20 seconds, until the peanut butter melts.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla, oats and wheat germ and stir until oats are completely covered in peanut butter mixture.
- Spread out oat mixture onto the sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and allow granola to cool inside.
- Store in an airtight container.
Total Fat: 3.3 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 63.4 mg
Total Carbs: 15.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 3.4 g
*If you want to give "my" PB&J version a go, spread a hearty whole wheat or oatmeal bread with a thick layer of smooth peanut butter and sprinkle with granola. Spread a second slice with (preferably) homemade jam or jelly and sandwich the two!