With my relative freedom after camp lets out for the day, I've been doing some planning and preparation of a different kind: weekday meals! Lunches have always been relatively standard on my end, but early mornings demand on-the-go food I can easily toss into my bag for the commute if (read: when) I sleep through my alarm in the morning. I've never been one for "savoury" breakfasts (even scrambled eggs, home fries and bacon get lashings of dark maple syrup here), but since pancakes and oatmeal can be a bit messy in the car I settled for the next best thing - breakfast cookies.
These hand-held, sugar free bites of bliss have it all: Amoré Almonds + Dairy beverage, multigrain cereal, oats, flaxseed and protein powder make up a "powered up" base peppered with diced apple and a seed mixture. Hearty but not heavy, they're the perfect size to get you to lunch without thinking about the vending machine or cafeteria - and if you do find yourself a bit peckish mid morning a second one won't derail your healthy eating mantra either, since each cookie is under 150 calories!
This week's #SundaySupper is helping everyone gear up for school once again. Check out all the fabulous recipes and make sure to say hi!
Back to School Beginnings
- Vegan Oatmeal Raisin Muffins from Killer Bunnies
- Make Ahead Waffle Casserole from Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Apple Muffins from Meal Diva
- Apple Oat Breakfast Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Toast Three Ways from Foxes Love Lemons
Back to School Lunches and Simple Suppers
- Owl Bento Box from Simply Gourmet
- First Day of School Pinwheels from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Quick and Easy Hot Pastrami Sliders from Webicurean
- Grilled Chicken Revamp from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Baked Eggplant Parmesan from Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken and Zucchinin Meatballs from Casa de Crews
- Clean Eating Lunches Your Kids will Love from Amee’s Savory Dish
- Crispy Chicken Legs from The Not So Cheesy Kitchen
- DIY Veggie Cup Noodles from Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Nuggets from Nosh my Way
- Skinny Spinach Mac and Cheese from Take a Bite out of Boca
- Chicken Schnitzle from Panning the Globe
- Berry Nutty Bento from Ninja Baking
- Spagetti and Chicken Meatballs from Soni’s Food
- Chopped Shrimp Salad with Honey Lime Vinagraitte from The Weekend Gourmet
- Steak & Cheese Pockets from Momma’s Meals
- Turkey Pinwheels from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Back to School Sips
Back to School Super Snacks
- Nutty Granola from Life Tastes Good
- On the Go Guacamole from Shannon at Country Girl in the Village
- Cinnamon Caramel Apple Energy Balls from Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- Playground Granola Bars from Noshing with the Nolands
- Apricot Dip from Magnolia Days
- Parmesan Garlic Oven Roasted Chick Peas from Ruffles and Truffles
- Home Made Graham Crackers from Curious Cuisiniere
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Gluten Free Apple Zucchini Flax Bread from Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef and Veggie Sliders from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Popcorn from Simply Healthy Family
- Frushi (Fruit Sushi) from Mama Bee Does
Back to School Sweets and Treats
- Open Face PB & J Cookies from Desserts Required
- Berry Topped Chocolate Silk Tart from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Peanut Butter and Jelly Paletas from La Cocina de Leslie
- Cinnamon Sugar Donut Muffins from Confessions of a Culinary Diva
- Love Note Doodle Bugs from Happy Baking Days
- Frozen Yogurt Mud Pies from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Brown Butter Peanut Butter Crispy Treats from The Texan New Yorker
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Apple - Oat Breakfast Cookies
Adapted from http://www.dairygoodness.ca/recipes/yummy-apple-breakfast-cookies
Makes 18 large cookies
2 cups quick-cooking rolled oats
⅓ cup multigrain hot cereal (or more rolled oats)
1 ½ cups whole wheat flour
2 tbsp (30g) unflavoured whey protein isolate (you can use a vegan substitute if needed)
2 tbsp cinnamon
½ tsp allspice
½ tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
¾ cup cup-for-cup stevia
¼ cup ground flaxseed
1 ⅓ cups warm Amoré Almonds + Dairy (or unsweetened almond milk)
¼ cup canola oil
1 tbsp vanilla
1 large apple, diced (no need to peel)
¼ cup toasted sunflower seeds
2 tbsp millet
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together oats, cereal, flour, whey, cinnamon, allspice, baking powder, salt, stevia and flaxseed.
- Add the Amoré Almonds + Dairy, oil and vanilla and stir until just blended. Fold in the apple and seeds.
- Drop ¼ cupfuls of batter onto the baking sheets at least 2” apart.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool completely on the sheets.
Total Fat: 5.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.4 mg
Sodium: 54.3 mg
Total Carbs: 19.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.4 g
Protein: 5.8 g