We usually invite my grandmother over for one family supper a week, partially to visit and partially to make sure she's still eating at least one decent sized, nutritionally balanced meal a week (or two/three with leftovers). It's no secret that my grandma's not overly fond of nutritious eating - especially when it comes to vegetables and quality protein - but she loves pasta, bread and cheese. Grandma's become more of a "nibbler" than an "eater" lately, too, having a piece of toast or a tiny pot of yoghurt as a "meal" more often than not. With this in mind, I decided to make a few "TV dinner" style mini-meals for her that she could re-warm in the oven as needed and could last a day or so in the fridge if (read: when) she didn't eat a whole one.
The first thing I did, knowing her eating patterns, was to take a leaf out of the many "kid food" cookbooks and puree a bunch of cauliflower and tofu into the three-cheese sauce, fortifying it with protein and vitamins while keeping the undeniable creamy-cheesy flavour and texture. Pasta-wise, I opted for enriched brown rice fusilli and topped each little pan with a sprinkle of gluten free breadcrumbs. She's none the wiser, and claims that the meals are delicious!
With the holiday season, filled with decadent and delightful meals, creeping ever closer, it's still important to balance that indulgence out by eating lighter fare during the "lull" periods between feasts. This week for #SundaySupper we're sharing these lighter types of dishes that taste just as great as the richest feasts of the holiday season.This week’s event is hosted by Kathia of Basic N Delicious. Thanks Kathia!
- Lightened Up Eggnog by The Redhead Baker
- Low Calorie Pumpkin Pie Malted Milkshake by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
Appetizer or starter
- Gruyere Cheese Puffs by Sustainable Dad
- Lighten-up Sausage Rolls by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spaghetti Squash, Pears and Kale with Shrimp by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Lightened Up Cornbread Stuffing by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Pumpkin Cheesecake Dip by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Spicy Eggplant Dip by Cooking Chat
- Carciofi alla Trapanese by Manu’s Menu
- Fresh Salmon Carpaccio by Food Lust People Love
- Holiday Beef Tenderloin with Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes and Corn by Family Foodie
- Mini Mushroom Shepherd’s Pies by Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Grandma’s Mac n’ Cheese by What Smells So Good?
- Lean Mean Cheeseburger Soup by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Butternut Squash & Chicken Sausage Soup by Hot Momma’s Kitchen Chaos
- Lightened-Up Fettuccine Alfredo by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts by Brunch with Joy
- Butternut Squash Orzo Pasta by Life Tastes Good
- Hearts of Palm, Artichoke, Avocado and Butter Lettuce by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Quick and Easy Sweet Potato by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Lentil & Mushroom Stuffing by Foxes Love Lemons
- Almond-Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Broccoli by The Texan New Yorker
- Tangy, Spiced Red Cabbage by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Honey Ginger Glazed Carrots by Ruffles & Truffles
- Shrimp Salad with White Wine Vinaigrette by eating in instead
- Cranberry Orange Glazed Green Beans by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Mash by The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Green Beans with Rosemary Garlic Butter by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Mediterranean Lentil Stuffed Delicata Squash by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Leaner Green Beans by Noshing With The Nolands
- Spiced Tri-Colored Carrot Salad by Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Horiatki Salata by Peaceful Cooking
- Healthier Potluck Broccoli-Cauliflower Salad by The Weekend Gourmet
- Farro Stuffing with Cranberries and Walnuts by The Dinner-Mom
- Roasted Parsnip and Apple SoupCurious by Curious Cuisiniere
- Sweet Apple Bites by Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Individual Cheesecakes by Nosh My Way
- Light and Luscious Chocolate Cheesecake by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding by The Life and Loves of Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Healthy Brownie Recipe | Applesauce Brownies by The Perfect Brownie
- Peanut Butter Coconut Mini Bars by Basic N Delicious
- The Blondie Recipe by Wallflour Girl
- Cinnamon Roll Granola Bars by Pies and Plots
- Skinny Ninja Cheesecake by NinjaBaker.com
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Pumpkin Blondie by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Grandma's Mac n' Cheese
5 oz cauliflower florets
8 oz low-fat silken tofu
1/3 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese (the real stuff)
300g shredded low-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1 cup hot 1% milk
½ tsp salt
pinch garlic powder
2 cups whole grain fusilli pasta (I used Tinkyada brown rice fusilli), cooked and drained
3 tbsp whole grain breadcrumbs (GF if needed), or crushed whole-grain crackers, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400F and lightly grease a 9” square foil pan (or mini loaf pans).
- With a double boiler or the microwave, steam the cauliflower florets until very tender. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor.
- Add the tofu, ricotta and Parmesan and puree.
- Add the Cheddar, milk, salt and spices and puree again until smooth.
- Place the pasta in a large bowl and pour the sauce overtop. Fold in well to coat the noodles.
- Pour into the pan(s) and sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before enjoying.
Total Fat: 6.7 g
Cholesterol: 17.6 mg
Sodium: 615.1 mg
Total Carbs: 20.4 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 19.8 g