While making this recipe was the perfect way to embrace the first crop of affordable strawberries, the filling is so simple and variable that you can use any fresh or frozen (and thawed) berry you like. For example, if I was making these for myself, those strawberries (and the accompanying jam) would be transformed into cherries and sour cherry jam, or perhaps cherries and lemon curd. The cocoa-kissed graham cracker crust has extra body and flavour from shredded coconut and ground flaxseed, which help it stand up to the fruit long enough for a fork to get in there! The pièce de résistance is definitely that pillow of meringue, just kissed by enough flame to turn golden and marshmallowy. It's a perfect Spring-Summer celebration dessert, whether you're partying for the long weekend or simply longer daylight hours!
This week's #SundaySupper is celebrating the US Memorial Day long weekend with recipes highlighting the colors of the US flag: red, white, and blue. Whether you're American or not, you're sure to find something delicious to kick off your Summer!
Food Using One Color
- Baby Back Ribs with Roasted Strawberry Barbecue Sauce by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Baked Tomato Breakfast Cups by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Red Velvet Milk Shake by Nosh My Way
- Strawberry Meringue Tartlets by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Oat Crumble by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Alabama BBQ Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Blueberry Breakfast Cookies by Pies and Plots
- Blueberry Cheesecake Ice Cream by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Blue Velvet Cupcakes by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
Food Using Two Colors
Red and White Food
- Pickled Shrimp with Pico de Gallo by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Sausage Rougail (Rougail Saucisse) by The Petit Gourmet
Blue and White Food
- Blueberry Feta Cucumber Salad by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Blueberry Pierogi by Curious Cuisiniere
Red, White and Blue Food
- Berry Berry Celebrations by Momma's Meals
- Berry Filled Firecracker Cupcakes by The Crumby Cupcake
- Berry Patriotic Chia Seed Pudding by Tasting Page
- Easy Chocolate Covered Marshmallows by Palatable Pastime
- Eton Mess by Caroline's Cooking
- Greek Yogurt Parfait Bar by Family Foodie
- Grilled Shrimp, Tomato and Bleu Cheese Flatbread by Our Good Life
- Individual Loaded Red, White, and Blue Salads by The Weekend Gourmet
- Patriotic Cocktail by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Patriotic Panna Cotta by The Freshman Cook
- Red White And Blue Coleslaw by Nik Snacks
- Red, White, and Blue Parfaits by Life Tastes Good
- Red, White and Blue Cherry Pie by Savory Experiments
- Red, White, and Blue Potato Salad by A Kitchen Hoor's Adventures
- Red, White and Blue Sangria by Food Lust People Love
- Red White and Blue Sundae by Desserts Required
- St. Honore Cake by Jane's Adventures in Dinner
- Strawberry, Blueberry & Raspberry Cheesecake Crumble by Food Done Light
- Tomato Blue Cheese Crostini by Magnolia Days
- Triple Berry Coconut Chia Pudding Parfaits by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Vanilla Pound Cake with Fresh Berries by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Watermelon, Feta & Beet Appetizer by Take A Bite Out of Boca
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Strawberry Meringue Tartlets
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
¼ cup shredded unsweetened coconut
1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
¼ cup coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp orange juice
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 ½ cups chopped fresh or thawed frozen strawberries
¾ cup 100% fruit strawberry jam
2 tbsp icing sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 egg whites (or ¼ cup pasteurized egg whites if making for children / elderly)
¼ tsp cream of tartar
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup vanilla sugar (or regular sugar)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line 12 muffin cups with foil liners.
- In a bowl, stir together graham cracker crumbs, flaxseed, coconut and cocoa powder.
- Stir together the coconut oil, orange juice and brown sugar in another bowl, then add to the graham crumb mixture and stir until moistened.
- Spoon evenly into the muffin liners and press into the bottom and up the sides.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes, until firm.
- Cool completely, then chill for at least 45 minutes.
- Combine the strawberries, strawberry jam, icing sugar and cornstarch in a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave for 5 minutes, stirring with a fork after 30 seconds to thoroughly combine.
- Spoon into the chilled crusts and refrigerate while preparing the meringue.
- In a spotlessly clean bowl with an electric mixer, whip egg whites, cream of tartar and salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar while whipping and beat until stiff glossy peaks form, about 8 minutes.
- Dollop meringue on top of the strawberry mixture and place under the broiler for 30 seconds-1 minute, until golden. (Alternatively, place tarts into a 325°F oven until set and golden brown, 14 to 16 minutes, or use a kitchen torch to toast the meringue.)
- Serve immediately or cover loosely and store in the refrigerator up to 2 days.
Total Fat: 6.2 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 43.5 mg
Total Carbs: 29.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 1.6 g