One of the stalls I always make sure to scope out is the bakery outlet, which in the early morning boasts still-warm loaves and muffins packed with seasonal produce and locally farmed grains, and by lunchtime barely has a roll left. I troll the stalls regularly, not always buying (sorry!) but always investigating the flavour combinations so that I can recreate the loaves at home. Over the years, I've churned out my share of breads inspired by the local bakers - sweet and hearty Multigrain Spelt and Blueberry Sourdough that my mom devoured with an array of homemade Toast Toppers, tangy Bauernbrot (which made an appearance on the menu for both Christmas and birthday menus) and a savoury Olive Semi - Sourdough Boule packed with sun-dried olives and whole grain flour. My latest journey to the farmer's market resulted in not only the purchase of freshly milled Red Fife flour and a small bag of maple sugar, but the mental image of a dense, grain-packed cranberry loaf with a rich colour and aroma.
Once back in my home kitchen (and armed with the new oven!), I set about creating this loaf - adding a touch of sourdough, multigrain cereal and cocoa to the body of the dough along with the slight sweetness of maple sugar and an almond-flavoured stevia. Instead of a boule, I picked a more traditional "panned" loaf which could fit in the toaster slots - a call for a slathering of Purely Peach Jam or Blueberry Pomegranate Butter if there ever was one!
This week #SundaySupper is celebrating the farmer's markets and farmstands with fare inspired - or fueled by the local bounty. This event is being hosted by Colleen of Foodie Tots with help from DB aka Foodie Stuntman at Crazy Foodie Stunts - thanks guys!
Appetizers, Sides and Salads
- 8 Grain Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Farm Fresh Gazpacho by An Appealing Plan
- Farmer’s Market Potato Salad by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Fennel and Orange Salad by Feeding Big – and more!
- Gazpacho Shooters with Avocado and Corn Salsa by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Grilled Peach Caprese by A Gouda Life
- Grilled Prosciutto Corn by Palatable Pastime
- Peach Caprese Salad by The Joyful Foodie
- Radish Top Pesto by Our Good Life
- Carrot Ravioli with Broccoli-Ricotta Filling by Caroline’s Cooking
- Farmers Market Pizza by Simply Healthy Family
- Farmstand Kebobs with Tahini Dipping Sauce by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Gemista (Greek Stuffed Tomatoes) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Halibut with Sugar Snap Peas, Mushrooms and Potatoes en Papillote by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Spaghetti and Zoodles with Vegetable Bolognese by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Spaghetti Squash Shrimp Pesto by Tasting Page
- Squash Blossom, Zucchini and Gouda Frittata by FoodieTots
- Sweet Corn Chowder with Crabmeat by The Redhead Baker
- Vegetable and Chicken Shish Kabobs by The Freshman Cook
- Ziti with Bacon and Greens by Cooking Chat
- Chaussons aux Pommes by Food Lust People Love
- Classic Peach Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Dairy Free Peach Mango Lassis with Coconut Whipped Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Lemon Curd Raspberry Crumb Bars by Wallflour Girl
- Lemon Tart by Brunch with Joy
- Peach Berry Cocktail by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Peach Cobbler with Blueberry Biscuits by Food Done Light
- Raspberry Rhubarb Sweet Rolls by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Triple Cherry Crisp by Pies and Plots
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
8 Grain Bread
Adapted from Secrets of a Jewish Baker
Makes 1 loaf, 16 slices
1 cup 8 grain hot cereal (such as Bob's Red Mill)
¼ cup dried cranberries
hot water, to cover
3 cups Red Fife or whole wheat bread flour
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp maple sugar
2 tsp salt
½ tbsp instant yeast
1 cup recently fed sourdough (100% hydration)
1 - 1 ¼ cups warm water
½ tsp almond flavoured liquid stevia (or plain stevia or 2 tbsp sugar with a dash of almond extract)
- Place the cereal and cranberries in a bowl and cover with hot water. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 12-24 hours.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, combine flour, cocoa, sugar, salt and yeast.
- Add the starter, 1 cup of the water, the stevia and soaked cereal-cranberry mixture and mix on low speed for 12 minutes. Add water as necessary - the dough should be soft but not overly sticky.
- Place in an oiled bowl, cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Punch down and place in a greased 9x5" loaf pan.
- Cover and let rise until dough rises just above the rim of the pan.
- Heat the oven to 380F. Slash the top of the loaf with a sharp knife and place in the oven.
- Bake 40 minutes, until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped on the bottom.
Total Fat: 1.2 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 292.2 mg
Total Carbs: 28.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 5.0 g
Protein: 5.0 g