Recently, these banana bars have been my go-to treat both at school and at home. The combination of toasty oats, brown sugar, melted butter and raisins bakes into something reminiscent of a butter-tart (coincidentally one of my mom's and my favourite desserts), while adding a mess of mashed bananas lends extra sweetness, moisture and an egg-like binding capability too. Both soft and chewy, they're perfect for every age - not to mention ideal for other additions if you care for them! I'm partial to sesame or sunflower seeds, but in the interest of simplicity I left them out of the below recipe. Plus, I never measure them...
Summer is in full swing. People are taking vacations, going to picnics and potlucks, or bringing food to those in need. This week, #SundaySupper is sharing recipes for food that travels well to a vacation destination, potluck party, or to someone who could use a good meal.
This event is being hosted by Marion of Life Tastes Good with help from Coleen at The Redhead Baker. Thanks, ladies!
- Almond Flour Brownies by Recipe for Perfection
- Cherry Blueberry Pie by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Pound Cake with Lime Glaze by Grumpy's Honeybunch
- Classic Carrot Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- No Bake Banana Pie in a Jar by Our Good Life
- No Bake Millionaire Shortbread Cookies by Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Oatmeal Raisin Banana Bars by What Smells So Good?
Mains in Motion
- Baby Back Pork Loin Ribs by The Freshman Cook
- BBQ Chicken On The Grill To Go by Family Foodie
- Chicken Salad Skewers by Cindy's Recipes and Writings
- Cobb Salad in a Jar by Life Tastes Good
- Farro with Eggplant and Tomato by Cooking Chat
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole by Simply Healthy Family
- Pan Bagnat (Provençal Tuna Sandwich) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pastitsio by Food Done Light
- Roasted Vegetable Tart by Adventures in All Things Food
- Spinach Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vegan SuperFood Bowl by Sustainable Dad
- Grilled Corn, Bean & Radish Salad by Feeding Big
- Heirloom Tomato Salsa by Nosh My Way
- Parmesan Pasta Salad by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pomodoro Fresco Pasta Salad by Bobbi's Kozy Kitchen
- Cherry Crumble No-Bake Energy Bars by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins by Caroline's Cooking
- Energy Balls by Noshing With The Nolands
- Sunflower Seed Oatmeal Bars by Magnolia Days
- 5 Comfort Food Tips by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Oatmeal Raisin Banana Bars
Makes one 9x13" pan, 20 squares
4 large bananas
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
½ cup cup-for-cup stevia
¼ cup melted butter (or vegan buttery spread)
1 tbsp vanilla
½ cup flour
½ cup oat flour or whole wheat flour
½ tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
2 cups quick cooking (not instant) oats
½ cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained
- Heat the oven to 350F and line a 9x13" pan with parchment.
- Mash the bananas with the sugar and stevia in a large bowl until smooth.
- Add butter and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the flours, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and oats. Mix just to combine.
- Fold in the raisins.
- Spread evenly in the pan and bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely before cutting.
Total Fat: 3.3 g
Cholesterol: 6.2 mg
Sodium: 57.4 mg
Total Carbs: 34.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.2 g
Protein: 2.5 g