Enter Summer Camp, with it's more relaxed schedule of events! We had a fabulous themed week at the end of July that I mentioned before - "food from around the world" - and I seized the opportunity to use "Italy" for pizza-making. While I did make "normal" pizza with the older children, I started preparing the goods for a sweeter, fruit laden pizza with my toddlers first. While I call this "dessert pizza" - and it is - it's not super-sweet, nor is it loaded with refined sugar or fake junk. What it is packed with is flavour - I couldn't tell whether the finished treat was a bigger hit with the kids or the staff! After all, when you top a honey-wheat crust with honeyed cream cheese, 100% fruit strawberry jam, strawberry "pepperoni ", mint "basil" and a dash of icing sugar "Parmesan", how can you resist a slice?
Makes one 13x9" sheet pan, 16 pieces
1 cup warm whole milk
1 tbsp instant yeast or 1 packet “Pizza Crust” yeast
3 tbsp honey
½ tsp salt
2 cups whole wheat bread flour
1 ⅓ cups all-purpose flour
3 tbsp canola oil
8 oz cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp honey
¼ cup 100% fruit strawberry or raspberry jam
Assorted fresh fruit (not included in NI)
Powdered sugar (for “cheese”) and fresh mint (for “basil” or “oregano”), optional (not included in NI)
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix until a smooth dough forms (about 5 minutes). Knead in the bowl for 2 minutes.
- Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise for 20 minutes (omit this step if using “Pizza Crust” yeast).
- Preheat oven to 500°F and generously grease a 12” pizza pan or rimmed 13x9” cookie sheet.
- With wet hands, press the dough into the pans.
- Allow the dough to rest for five more minutes, then re-work the dough toward the outer edges of the pan.
- Bake pizza crusts for 12 minutes, until cooked through.
- Remove crust from pan and cool on a rack. You can use these immediately, or wrap tightly with a double thickness of plastic wrap and freeze up to a month.
- Mix the cream cheese with the honey until smooth and spread over the cooled crust.
- Spread a layer of jam (the “pizza sauce”) over top and add fresh fruit to taste.
- Garnish with powdered sugar (for “cheese”) and mint (the “basil” or “oregano”) and enjoy!
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 8.3 g
Cholesterol: 17.0 mg
Sodium: 49.3 mg
Total Carbs: 27.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.1 g
Protein: 4.7 g