I almost never watch movies. In particular, I never willingly watch romantic comedies, especially if they're in the theatres. For my $15 (not counting concessions), I'll take James Bond, Tim Burton or Star Wars way before settling in for 2+ hours of boy-meets-girl / boy-loses-girl / boy-gets-girl semi-storylines. Even then, I'm hard pressed to focus that long on anything (I can barely watch a half hour TV show) so most of the time I skip the theatres entirely and catch up on the Coles Notes version while waiting for it to come out on the free On Demand cable channels.
That said, I'm still excited for this week's #SundaySupper theme - My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 - because I love Greek food, and definitely love partying Greek style! Our group is combining Hellenic inspired dishes to create a feast of Olympic proportions - whether its to remember and join the re-union celebration of Toula and Ian or simply revel in the rich, healthy flavours of the Mediterranean.
My contribution to the dinner feast is this recipe for grissini - skinny, crunchy breadsticks that are perfect for an appetizer, snack or accompaniment to a simple Mediterranean meal. They are incredibly easy to put together, and are packed with the bright, vibrant flavour of fresh rosemary and the briny richness of both Kalamata and sun-dried olives, which mingle with the slight nuttiness of the whole wheat flour to make a satisfying, well-keeping snack that not only stands up on its own but pairs beautifully with dips like baba ghanoush or hummus. For cocktail or dinner parties where they're being used as pre-meal nibbles, a grating of fresh Parmesan on top before baking adds an extra "gourmet" twist - but even without that extra garnish I dare you to try stopping at one. If you're anything like my coworker - who claims he's not a "bread guy" in general - you'll find yourself missing more than a few before the end of the day due to "quality control" checks!
This #SundaySupper event is hosted by Nichole Crews from Casa de Crews. Thanks Nichole!
- Greek Salad (Horiatiki Salata) by Angels Home Sweet Homestead
- Greek-Style Sliders with Feta Aioli by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Kalamata Phyllo Cigars with Whipped Feta by Pook’s Pantry
- Rosemary and Olive Grissini by What Smells So Good?
- Socca Pizza with Spinach, Roasted Tomatoes, Kalamata Olives, and Feta by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spanakopita Bites by My Imperfect Kitchen
- Tiropitas (Greek Cheese Triangles ) by Moore or Less Cooking
- Tyropita Appetizer Bites by The Freshman Cook
- Avgolemono Chicken Zoodle Soup by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Quick and Easy Greek Avgolemono Soup by Confessions of a Cooking Diva
- Shrimp Avgolemono with Spinach by Monica’s Table
- Vegetarian Magiritsa (Greek Easter Soup) by Palatable Pastime
- Baklava French Toast with Cinnamon Honey Syrup by A Mind Full Mom
Greek Main Dishes:
- Brizola (Greek-style Pork Chops) by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Greek Salad Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Greek Chirashi Sushi by NinjaBaker
- Greek Breakfast Wraps by Brunch-n-Bites
- Greek Meatball Salad by Magnolia Days
- Gyro Meatballs with Lemon Rice by Casa de Crews
- Kotopita (Greek Chicken Pie) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Mediterranean Meatball Gyro Sandwich by Life Tastes Good
- Slow-Cooked Lamb Shoulder with Roasted Vegetables by Food Lust People Love
- Souvlaki Chicken Wraps with Homemade Tzatziki by The Crumby Cupcake
- Youvetsi (Greek beef or lamb and orzo stew) by Caroline’s Cooking
Greek Side Dishes:
- Greek-style rice salad by Pine Needles In My Salad
- Greek Zucchini Fritters by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Homemade Tzatziki Sauce by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spanakorizo by Feeding Big and More
- Chocolate Baklava by The Chef Next Door
- Greek Lemon Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Greek Spice Cake by Our Good Life
- Greek Walnut Cake by Pies and Plots
- Greek Wedding Cookies – Kourabiethes/Kourabiedes by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Loukoumades – Greek Donuts by The TipToe Fairy
- Loukoumades (Greek honey fritters) by The Redhead Baker
- Ouzito: The Greek Mojito by Hardly A Goddess
Plus Baked Shrimp with Feta plus More Greek Cuisine from Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Rosemary and Olive Grissini
2 cups white bread (or all purpose) flour
1 ½ cups whole wheat bread flour
2 ¼ tsp instant yeast
1 tsp fine salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 cup warm water
⅓ cup pitted Kalamata olives (or a mix of Kalamata and sun-dried black) in oil, pureed with 2 tbsp of the oil
¼ cup fresh rosemary leaves
- In a large bowl (or a stand mixer fitted with the dough hook), combine all ingredients (in order).
- Knead to form an elastic dough (about 7-10 minutes).
- Cover and let rise 1 hour.
- Deflate dough, knead briefly, and let rest 10 minutes.
- Heat the oven to 375F (350F convection) If your oven is not convection, place a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll the rested dough out into a rectangle about 20x12”.
- Cut in half crosswise, then into ¼” strips lengthwise.
- Lightly roll each strip to round the edges and place on the parchment lined sheets.
- Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Bake (1 sheet at a time if not using convection) for 18 minutes, until crisp and golden. Keep unbaked sticks in the fridge during baking.
- Immediately transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely.
Total Fat: 0.4 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 32.3 mg
Total Carbs: 3.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.4 g
Protein: 0.6 g