While corn season is pitifully short up here in the Toronto area, you can bet we get our fill while its here - especially since the price drops like a stone (last time I looked it was like 10 cents a cob at the market). Where I live, I'm fortunate enough to live close to a farm that flash-freezes all their extra produce (as well as some from surrounding producers), making a bag of frozen berries, beans, peaches or corn taste just as delectable in Winter as it did during that one week it was perfect in the field. I tell you, spreading out some frozen kernels on a baking sheet and broiling them until just so slightly blistered turns starchy vegetable into dinner-worthy candy!
Obviously, my normal method of indulging in this Summer staple is via the simple, savoury kitchen. I'm not about to change that passion regarding the "whole" form of the produce, but there are plenty of other ways I utilize corn products in cooking! I keep a decent stash of "plain" corn flour, cornstarch, dextrose (corn sugar), polenta and fine-milled cornmeal in the pantry, and when I discovered this Brazilian recipe a few weeks ago I thought it would be perfect for this #SundaySupper. Not only did the "corn" ingredient fit the theme, but with the Rio Olympics having kicked off this past Friday these little "golden" medallions look right at home on a viewing-party tray! While they're 100% gluten free, these buttery cookies are relatively easy to shape and have a perfect balance of "melt-in-your-mouth" and "sandy" textures. A touch of finely shredded coconut adds a touch of tropical flair, but if you're not a fan (or are allergic like me) leaving it (and the extract) out is no big deal. Either way, they're a hit with kids (and kids at heart) alike!
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Corn and Tomato Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Griled Corn and Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Healthy Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Skillet Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Brazilian Corn Cookies (Broinhas)
½ cup salted butter, softened
½ cup sugar
½ tsp coconut extract
½ tsp vanilla extract
1 cup yellow corn flour
½ cup rice flour
½ cup cornstarch
1 tsp baking powder
½ cup finely shredded, unsweetened coconut
- Heat the oven to 350°F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until well blended.
- Add the egg, coconut extract and vanilla extract and beat well.
- Add the corn flour, rice flour, cornstarch, baking powder and coconut and mix to form a dough.
- Cover and let rest 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 26 pieces, roll into balls and place on the baking sheets.
- Flatten the balls gently with the palm of your hand.
- Bake at for 12 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool on the baking sheets.
Total Fat: 4.4 g
Cholesterol: 16.7 mg
Sodium: 28.7 mg
Total Carbs: 12.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g
Protein: 0.8 g