All of the recipes with the carbonated liquid / self rising flour combination I've found to date are on the savoury side - I've seen ones with herbs, garlic, cheese, chiles, olives... but never taking on dessert or the sweet side of quickbread. I suspect most of this has to do with the fact that the recipes are subject to drying out rapidly, making them less appealing as a stand-alone treat. That said, when I found myself with a few bottles of wine spritzer left over from a birthday party, a bottle of Cheribundi Tart Cherry Juice and a handful of dark chocolate chunks, I thought I'd try it out anyways. The combination was inspired by a recipe found on Nosh My Way, and by adding just a smidge of honey to the batter along with the basic ingredients I was rewarded with a sweet, tender loaf cake with just enough outer crust to slice cleanly. Inside, the melt-in-your-moth crumb held chunks of melting bittersweet chocolate and dried cherry "jewels" that held onto enough moisture that the loaf never dried out. The best part? This drop-dead simple, decadent and rich-tasting loaf cake only has 3 tbsp of butter and is laced with whole grains to boot!
Cherry-Chocolate Wine Spritzer Cake
Adapted from Nosh My Way
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 ¼ cups spelt flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
2 tbsp warm honey
3 tbsp butter, melted, divided
¼ cup Cheribundi tart cherry juice
12 oz. white wine spritzer (I used 2 bottles of Myx Fusions Moscato And Peach Wine Cooler)
1 ½ oz dark chocolate chunks
2 tbsp dried cherries
- Heat the oven to 350 F and grease a 9×5" loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in the honey, 2 tbsp of butter, cherry juice and wine spritzer. Do not overmix.
- Fold in the chopped chocolate and cherries.
- Spread batter in the prepared pan and pour the remaining butter overtop.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until tests done.
- Cool 15 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a rack and allow to cool completely before slicing.
Total Fat: 5.0 g
Cholesterol: 7.8 mg
Sodium: 22.1 mg
Total Carbs: 37.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.4 g
Protein: 4.8 g