This is a very scaled-down version of a recipe we used in cooking class at George Brown College when we made the flan last weekend. I used the leftover dough from then to make these cookies, some of which I then dipped in chocolate, and they were all gobbled up by the office staffers at my mom's work!
Wish me luck in the techie realm!
Tart Shell Dough, or Sables Pastry
Makes enough for 3 9" flan tins, or about 60 cookies
¾ cup + 3 tbsp sugar
1 cup shortening
1 tsp vanilla
4 1/3 cups pastry flour
1/8 tsp baking powder
¼ cup milk
Assorted decorations (pine nuts, almonds, cashew clusters, chocolate, etc), optional
- Cream together sugar, salt and shortening until fluffy.
- Add vanilla and egg, beat well.
- Combine flour and baking powder, gently mix in alternately with the milk to form a smooth mixture.
- Work dough into a disc on a lightly floured surface.
- Wrap in plastic and chill at least 24 hours. Alternately freeze up to 6 months.
To bake: Preheat oven to 400F and place cookies on an ungreased sheet. Decorate as desired and bake 8-10 minutes.