1 medium sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chopped carrots
2 cups chopped celery
1 cubanelle pepper, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 red shepherd pepper, diced
1 medium fresh tomato, chopped
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp paprika
6 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
1 lb fresh or frozen green beans
- Combine dried beans in a jar or other container. Cover with water and soak overnight (up to 2 days). Drain and rinse thoroughly, set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil.
- Add onion and saute over medium-high heat until browned.
- Add garlic, carrots, celery and all the peppers, stirring well.
- Cook 7-8 minutes, until the vegetables have begun to soften.
- Stir in the chopped fresh tomato, sprinkle with black pepper and paprika and cook 2 minutes, stirring.
- Pour in broth, water, and canned tomatoes, then stir in beans, nutritional yeast, basil, oregano and bay leaves.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 4 hours, until beans are tender. Remove bay leaves.
- Add green beans, grain blend and salt, increase heat and cook until grains are cooked, about 15 minutes.
Total Fat: 2.6 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 954.6 mg
Total Carbs: 51.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 10.9 g
Protein: 12.3 g