The pie baked like a dream - no boil-over, no runny filling, and a perfect amount of whole berries to squish deliciously with every bite. Even my lattice crust looked great, if I do say so myself!
Amusingly enough, two days after I made this pie (and saw it demolished) I received a little bit of info from a B.C. Blueberry birdie about a contest they're running this Summer for food bloggers! For cash even!! If you're a Canadian food blogger pop on over to their site and check it out between now and August 15 and join my pie in the fray!
Makes 1 pie, 10 servings
3/4 cups flour, plus extra for rolling
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp lime zest
1/2 cup Earth Balance "Buttery Sticks", cold and cubed
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
3 tbsp cold, fresh orange juice
2 tbsp cold, fresh lime juice
4 cups blueberries
1 tbsp water
2/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp cornstarch
2 tbsp tapioca flour (not granules)
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 tsp grated orange zest
1/2 tsp grated lime zest
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp cornstarch mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
- In a large bowl combine flours and zests, whisking well.
- Cut in the Earth Balance and shortening until a coarse-meal texture forms.
- Add orange and lime juices and gently mix to form a flaky pastry dough.
- Divide into two portions - one 1/3 of the mixture, the other 2/3 of the dough.
- Wrap dough pieces in cling wrap and chill 30 minutes.
- Roll out the larger portion of dough, fit it into a 9" pie plate and set into the refrigerator while preparing filling.
- Preheat the oven to 400F and place the oven rack in the lowest position.
- Combine 1 cup of blueberries, water and the sugar in a small pot and place over medium heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is melted - 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch, tapioca flour and orange juice.
- Stir starch mixture into the cooking berries and cook gently until the mixture thickens and turns clear.
- Remove from heat and stir in the zests and nutmeg, then fold in remaining berries and pour into the pie shell.
- Roll out remaining pastry and cut strips from it.
- Brush edges of dough with the cornstarch mixture.
- Weave a lattice pattern with the pastry strips on top of the mixture and brush with remaining cornstarch mixture.
- Place pie on a baking sheet and place in the oven. Reduce temperature to 375F.
- Bake 40-45 minutes. Cool completely (minimum 12 hours) before cutting.
Total Fat: 15.9 g
Cholesterol: 3.8 mg
Sodium: 100.7 mg
Total Carbs: 41.9 g
Dietary Fiber: 3.0 g
Protein: 3.0 g